/dist/images/branding/favicon

MōVI-first time out

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Adam Paugh, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Here's a quick edit from this weekend with the M10. All shot with GH3 12-35mm 1080 24P at various locations throughout Northwest Montana. The last half of the video is from Lake McDonald in Glacier National Park. We loaded up on a small 8hp tin boat to assist the boat captain with a disabled steering system.

Greetings,
    Adam

Phil Macdonald likes this.
  2. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Cool. Refreshing to see those hard mechanical pans from movi in follow mode. Same hard pans (not smooth and rounded) you get with Alexmos when:

-Follow mode/majestic settings are set a little high or the operator is not smooth and too fast with his panning moves causing the pan axis to play catch up. I also see an ever so slight sign of horizon drift in a couple scenes. It will be interesting to see more movi videos from everyday people.

3. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

Hope you didn't do any damage there at the end hehe. Thanks for the demo :)

4. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Yes, certainly still wet behind the ears with this new rig. We were so excited to start using it that we neglected to set up Majestic for the tilt axis. This was all shot with Majestic pan and locked stabilized tilt.

The bluetooth connectivity is an excellent feature for wireless tuning which we didn't quite get to until yesterday. Our editor took some artistic liberties with the out take at the end. Luckily none of the gear was damaged and I only ended up with a few bumps and bruises.

Greetings,
    Adam

5. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

That footage looks awesome. And I must say that a bike crash doesn't really create the same spectacle as a copter crash. :eek:

6. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

Love the video Adam.
    any chance we can see a video explaining how the tuning process works? From what I hear its a bit different from how the Alexmos Boards work.
    Thanks

7. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

hey adam, i loved the boat shots especially. There's one shot u were quite close to the water. Did you take precautions in case of splash?

8. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Hello Charles,

Yes, I was very careful not to place the rig too close to the water. All of the senors and drives are in weather resistant enclosures, but water and electrical systems never get along well together. Also, water on the lens and the shot is over.

Greetings,
    Adam

9. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Hello Sam,

The tuning is fairly straight forward. Each axis is tuned individually after the gimbal CG is achieved. Camera CG is accomplished via quick-release type clamps not screws. There are 3x M3 screws that are used for the big roll bar...this is the only spot you need a tool. It is similar to the Radian system as it relies on proper mounting and then ramping the gain up until feedback occurs and backing off. In Majestic setup I found that there are three main parameters...a gain, a window angle, and an expo. Being able to do this all real time with bluetooth connection is one of the most excellent features of the rig. Set the rig up in the stand...adjust some parameters...run around and see what you think...repeat.

We can also save settings for different camera/lens configs.

I'm sure Freefly will have a thorough video guide for setup and tuning.
    Greetings,
    Adam

10. Kurt Wallrath

Kurt Wallrath Member

Hey Adam,

Great video! When you're on the small boat, I noticed the horizon staying level and the boat operator going up and down. Do you (or anyone else) know if there's a way on the MoVI to keep the subject on a small boat level and have the background go up an down? Is this even possible on a MoVI or will it keep trying to make solid ground (aka the background on a lake or sea) stay level leaving the subject going up and down?

Thanks,

-Kurt

11. Kurt Wallrath

Kurt Wallrath Member

P.S. the part in Adam's video I'm referring to is around 2:25.

12. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

Kurt , u want camera to be leveled with boat . easy ... Hard mount camera to boat. Don't need movi for that . Or do you mean to kill the tilt axis ?

13. Kurt Wallrath

Kurt Wallrath Member

Thanks for your response, Charles,

You're correct, I want the MoVI to be level with the boat so the horizon goes up and down as the boat floats, not the subject. However, I want to be able to move around and follow the subject. I suppose I could use a Mantis or other shoulder rig, but I'd prefer to keep the camera on the MoVI as much as possible. Maybe I could try setting the tilt window to 0?

14. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

I think its possible to set the tilt with the configurator that it becomes almost locked off. I have done that wit the pan when I was using it with the stedicam sled.