/dist/images/branding/favicon

My Alta is Rusty!

Discussion in 'ALTA 8' started by Stefanie Williams, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Stefanie Williams

Stefanie Williams New Member

Hello,
    I wonder if anyone can help. I like keeping my kit looking clean and that includes free of rust! My Alta is in a terrible state with lots of bolts rusted.

To summarise:
    Bolts mounting propellers to prop bracket - total 12 bolts
    The two bolts at the end of each arm near the arm retaining catch - total 12 bolts
    The two small bolts in the middle of the arm latch itself - total 12 bolts
    The bolts mounting the battery tray to the handle - 4 bolts
    The two small bolts on the arm hinge - 12 bolts
    The bolts attaching the covering plates to the main hub - 20 bolts

Does anyone know if there is a replacement stainless steel or alternative set that can be used to replace?
    Thanks,
    Stef x

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Stephanie:
    Wow....that's a first. Have you been flying in a marine environment?

There is an ALTA Repair Kit (EDIT: Never mind -- it doesn't have machine screws in it), but it sounds like you need to engage in a systematic replacement -- might be easier to open up a ticket by sending an email to Freefly Support (support@freeflysystems.com) and ask them for a list of all the different sizes of machine screws that you need. I've ordered up similar parts (albeit for an FF Cinestar) from the likes of boltdepot.com or fastener-express.com (note the hyphen in the name). Both of those places carry metric machine screws with various shaped heads. Ace Hardware also has a reasonable selection of metric for M3 and above although they're a tad expensive buying them onesy-twosy.

Hope this helps
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Stefanie Williams

Yes, I've been doing lots of flying from the back of a boat at sea in all sorts of bad weather. The funny thing was that the rust appeared virtually overnight on one of the first days. I'll take your advice and see if I can source some from a third-party.
    Thanks, Stef x

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

You might also want to use apply some Corrosion-X to a Q-Tip and dab it onto the new machine screws to prevent the rust from forming.
    eg, https://www.amazon.com/Corrosion-X-Corrosion-Technologies-91002-Corrosionx/dp/B0009GYRWW -- you might be able to get smaller quantities than shown.

EDIT: You may also find that you need to use some Loctite on the new machine screws. Check with FF as to which variant of Loctite you should use. It might be 242 or 222 or something else.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Stefanie Williams

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

On thinking about it some more, I wonder how the motor bearings on both the ALTA and the gimbal are handling the salty air. Again, that's something you might want to seek advice on from FF, Stephanie.

Cheers
    Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

In the past it has been Loctite 242 Blue.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Gary: Very true. Not sure whether that's still the case -- I've noticed more of a white crusty deposit on some of the threads on the ALTA....not sure whether that's what happens after 242 cures.

Cheers
    Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

9. Mike Reid

Mike Reid Member

All of the bolts on mine were turning a rust color after a few months as well. No flying near the ocean up to that point though. It’s really just a surface thing. Kind of a steampunk look. I figured I’d just glue some wood bits to it and put some funny goggles on it.

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Copper piping and some old style pressure gauges too -- please post images!

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™