/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi Pro/Red Raven Monitor Issue

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Dominick Russo, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Dominick Russo

Dominick Russo New Member

Hey guys,
    So I have been battling a constant issue with my camera rig. Currently the setup is a MOVI Pro with a Red Raven, Wooden Camera Easy Top, and a 5.0 touch monitor. The camera boots fine when cold and all my touch sensitivity is there, however, once the rig has been used for a few minutes, I can get a few different very frustrating issues that pop up. First off the touch sensitivity usually goes away first, from there I have learned to not continue to make any more adjustments to the camera because the next touch to the screen can cause it to completely shutdown. Occasionally, instead of totally shutting down the monitor, the screen will just go incredibly dim and then from there if you continue to touch the monitor it will eventually fully shut down the monitor. The only thing that usually brings it back from fully dead is a hard restart of the camera. The first touch monitor I had ended up completely dying after a few shoots and never working again... Which might be coincidence but who knows at this point.
    So here are the steps I've already taken to try and rectify this situation:
    -First I sent the camera to red with a couple issues, this being one of them thinking it was on their end. They sent the camera back repaired with the other issues but this particular issue still occurred.
    - Next I tried the setup with a 7.0 monitor and while it doesn't shut down like the 5 inch does, it has some major glitches and lines that go through the monitor.
    -We got a backup 5 inch monitor next, which still has the same issues.
    -Next I put our Red epic inside the movi to test the movi itself and the cables. Everything worked flawlessly for two days.
    -Finally I just figured it had to be the Wooden Easy top so I sent that off to them which they ended up replacing.

Thinking I was out of the water I took it on a shoot this weekend and alas, it still has the same issue. Anyone have any ideas or any experience with the Raven, easy top, and 5.0 monitor having compatibility issues? I'm at a total loss as of now.
    Thanks!

2. Iancu Moraru

Iancu Moraru New Member

I am having the same problems with my Epic-W. I'm using it with the Wooden Camera Male Pogo to Female Pogo.
    The monitor works fine until I mount it on the Top Handle. It stops working immediately after I drew it on the Movi.
    I have found a workaround, by mounting the monitor on a Manfrotto Clamp that is connected to the outer ring of the Movi.
    Have you found a solution?
    Thank you!

3. Karl Gray

Karl Gray New Member

Hi,
    I also had a few issues one thing i found was remove the control cable from the red while making changes on the touch screen it seems to have conflicts with the movi when you are trying to update settings. The other was I found using the using Wooden Camera Male Pogo to Female Pogo mounted to the top connector was the most consistent... So as you can see from the pic required a high tech fix, a block of metal with a thread tapped into it. Any techs reading can we get a nice light spacer version of this..please.
    [​IMG]

4. Aaron Marquette

How are you guys powering your REDs? I had the same erradic touch screen & camera lock-up with 2 different Wooden Camera P-Tap cables powering from NOVI PRO TSU CAM Port. As soon as we switched to a block battery, the RED booted again. Panavision Woodland Hills' Sr. HD Tech said 'REDs don't like voltage spikes or drops' -eluding to a power issue on the TSU.

I've been dealing with a bunch of TSU problems since my 1st MPro job in January '17 so it's in for service now.