/dist/images/branding/favicon

MoVI M5 Noises and Grinds when Turned (HELP)

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Haven Shank, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Haven Shank

Haven Shank New Member

Hi Guys,

So I fired up my MoVI M5 after having not used it for several months. When I turn it on, it kind of jerks and does a high pitched frequency hum. The hum gets louder if I touch any part of the main section where there power button is clear up to where it attaches to the handle. It also sounds like it's grinding when I turn it completely to the right when powered on. If I power it off, there is no grinding at all -- it's completely smooth. It hasn't been dropped or hit whatsoever so there's no damage to it. I've reset to factory settings and then set to AutoTune and it still does it. I've double checked to make sure that everything is tightened down and tight and everything looks and seems fine.

Ideas and advice appreciated! Thanks!

2. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

Haven can you post a video? Have you upgraded the software?

Your auto tune settings might be to high causing the humming sounds its only a guess though. I would manually try and tune each axis one by one. turn them to one to zero or close then go up and until you hear the humming sound.

3. Haven Shank

Haven Shank New Member

Just updated the firmware and now it gives me 3 lights but nothing functions on it.

4. Haven Shank

Haven Shank New Member

The hum is gone but it does not operate at all.

5. Haven Shank

Haven Shank New Member

Set it to AutoTune and back in action... I'm guessing I was making some unrealistic hard right turns with it that is probably causing the motors to jump into high gear to compensate so I have an email in to FreeFly but when you just operate with normal smooth motion, seems fine. No idea what caused the high frequency noise but after the firmware update seems ok now. Thanks, Jason!

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Haven: The problem is that the M5 was badly in need of tuning when you first powered it on -- and it started to oscillate as a result. When you touch it, it alters the mass in motion and dampens the oscillation/vibration. Anyway, that's what you're hearing/feeling when the unit starts to hum.

Upgrading the firmware has the effect of resetting the stiffness values, etc. and thus you either needed to (a) restore from a previously saved configuration (although that probably wouldn't have made much sense here as the settings were wacko), or (b) do an autotune to get settings that are more-or-less correct.

Hope that explains what happened.
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

Chris Harrison likes this.