/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi M10 and Movi Ring Pro

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Jason Rugg, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Jason Rugg

Jason Rugg New Member

Hey there!

I'm new to the Movi Community.

I recently got a Movi M10 and a Movi Ring Pro. I love the Movi, but when I mount it to the ring (via Toad in the Hole), it can't spin freely, the rear end of the Movi hits the corner of the ring. If it was about an inch lower, it would clear just fine. Recommendations?

IMG_6465.JPG

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Jason. Why do you need it to pan so far? If it pans any further, your lens will see the other side of the ring in shot, no?

Many of us have different handle options for our Movi's, including the 'Classic' handle bars, Handle Extensions, etc. If it's a Dual-Op shot where the 2nd Remote Operator is panning far to the right or left, then it's the handheld-operator's job to turn so the the ring is out of the way.

If you're operating Majestically, then you shouldn't have issues with the Movi hitting the ring unless you pan really quickly and the Movi can't keep up. You'll probably learn to dance around this, or come up with different rigging for your specific shots.

Does that help?

3. Jason Rugg

Jason Rugg New Member

I mean, I may be dumb... I'm really new to this whole thing, but... I can't properly balance the pan if the gimbal can't spin freely, right? At least, according to the manual. Is there a way you balance the pan without having the lens lined up along the top bar?

4. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Yes, there's a few tricks to it. Here's Tabb's video about balancing:

I have a trick where you can point the camera forward after balancing your Tilt, Tilt CG, and Roll, and then hold one side of the ring and lift up. In an unbalanced Pan axis, either the front of the camera or the back of the Movi will fall, and you can adjust your Pan balance accordingly.

5. Jason Rugg

Jason Rugg New Member

Fantastic! Exactly what I needed. Thank you!

Graham Futerfas likes this.