/dist/images/branding/favicon

movi has issues after psychotic episode

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Brian Walls, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Brian Walls

Brian Walls New Member

M15 was working fine... Then it just went psycho one day. spinning out of control - very fast - like it was possessed. The problem was that I had accidentally mounted the camera backwards in the cage and had the rear horizontal bar (with the freely logo on it) facing upside down when I booted up. The violent spinning is truly demonic and could easily cause some major damage or injury no doubt . Luckily neither the camera and lens nor myself were harmed.

The movi has not worked correctly ever since that episode however. The tilt axis cable got so twisted that it had pulled out of the control unit. Took me a while to figure that out. Then, when I plugged the cable back in, I put the cable in upside down (incorrectly assuming it would only go in one way). I eventually found a tech note explaining that the side of the cable connector with the exposed metal contacts needs to be facing DOWN towards the cage. The user manual does not mention any of this unfortunately.

So I now have everything plugged in correctly (I think), but there is still something wrong with my system.

The movi is totally unpredictable at this point. If I can get it to boot, it makes sudden random rotations and then sort of locks to these random angles. when i try to move the position of the camera it will fight me for a second, then rotate and snap to some other random angle, or all of the green lights will start flashing, or they just go dark. The unit hangs when i try to run an auto-tune, and sometimes on boot only the first 2 green lights will come on and then it just stays like that.

I am thinking that there might be a short in one or more of my cables, but I can not find a simple explanation of the overall system and how it functions, or the logic behind which cables and parts control what behaviors. If I had this information I might be able to perform a methodical troubleshooting of the various components. (a wiring diagram and a step by step troubleshooting flow chart in the documentation would be extremely helpful.)

I feel like the next step is to replace all of the motor cables. There are 15 cables available from the freely on-line store, but the motor cables are not available to purchase, or even mentioned for that matter.

I really need to solve this issue ASAP. I don't want to send the unit in for repair until I have tried everything I can on my end.

I will open a ticket with tech support now.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Brian:
    Ouch.....that whole saga sounds very frustrating for you.
    As you say, I think FF tech support is your best bet now.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert