/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi "fighting back" when trying to calibrate

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by robert peltier, Apr 22, 2014.

1. robert peltier

robert peltier New Member

Job tomorrow, but Movi is acting up, please help!

I seem to be having trouble calibrating my m5. I haven't had an issue balancing or calibrating the unit before, but recently it started throwing a fit as soon as I turn it on. The motors engage and immediately whip the camera around so much that I physically have to hold it down so that it won't fly off the stand.

I've reset the factory settings and installed the new firmware, but neither of these seem to have any affect on the issue. I did try to setup the unit inverted the other day so that I could mount it on a steadicam, so perhaps one of the sensors was flipped somehow? I can't figure out how else the unit would behave like this when it was working just fine yesterday.

I'll attach a video that demonstrates the issue that I'm having. I can also post pictures to make sure all of the sensors are in alignment and the wires are plugged in if that would help.

I do apologize if this information has been covered, I was unable to find help thus far in my search.

Thanks in advance,

- robert

2. Justin Marx

Justin Marx Active Member

Hi Robert.. Scary!

Try this: might be a two person deal. I'm not tech support, so do the following at your own risk..

Hold the MoVI from the top handle, disconnect all video cables so it can spaz out without damaging anything.

Get your DX7 remote close. Turn it on and toggle your remote to "REMOTE OPERATION"
    Get your tablet close and the app open.

As soon as it connects, flip the off toggle on the DX7 from Remote to OFF.

This should keep it connected to the app but will shut the motors off.

From there go into your tuning and set all of your motors to zero.

Now switch the remote to "Remote operator" (it should stay limp)
    Slowly, one by one, add 1, to your pan motor, see how it reacts, then back to zero, then 1 to tilt, check it, see how it reacts, etc..

Also, make sure your not set to airborne mode.

Let me know if this narrows anything down for you?

3. Justin Marx

It does look like it was trying to flip over... Hmmm, after you try the above, definitely restore/reset, check cables.

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Robert it may be that the handles are on at the wrong angle. There is a 'front' to the pan motor. If the handles are attached other than in this 'front' position then the first thing the MoVI will try to do is rotate so that it is facing 'front'.

What happens if you hand hold the rig? As Justin suggested try setting the roll/tilt/pan gains lower or doing a reset.

Couldn't tell whether you have the remote receiver so you may not be able to do the other suggestions offered by Justin since you would need the remote system.

Also send a support email into the support team. They should be in the office or in the office shortly.

5. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Robert, Did you take apart both sides of the camera cage? I think you inadvertently flipped the tilt axis over and the MoVI is now confused

6. robert peltier

robert peltier New Member

Justin, Gary, and Tabb:

I really appreciate your input and the quick reply. The problem was, in fact, operator error. As Tabb surmised, I had taken apart the camera cage and didn't recognize that the tilt axis had flipped before I reassembled it. A quick flip resolved the issue, and I've marked it for the future.

Just to clarify the solution for anyone that might run into this problem, I unclamped and removed the bottom bracket that holds the camera mount from the carbon rods on each side and flipped over the pair of rods that is connected to the tilt axis before reassembling.

Many thanks to you all. I can't say enough about the Free Fly brand. Outstanding products and support.

- robert

7. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Awesome, glad it was an easy fix!

8. Justin Marx

The moVI is now confused.. Hahahaha

9. Michael Elsegood

Tabb, Justin - I have experienced a similar issue with my M15. The cage has been built a few times, so possible to be confused also.

However, this appears to happen intermittently. Could this only confuse the MoVI every so often, or would it likely do it every time until righted?

This happens occasionally when going from underslung to inverted mode.

Is there a way to determine the true upright position of the tilt motor?