/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi at sea

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Charles Lim, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

Shooting at sea is one of the most hostile eniviroments for cameras. I would like to use the Movi at sea to capture sea surface footage. Any recommendations on how I should splash/waterproof proof the Movi from sea salt ?

2. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

3. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

Thx for the heads up on that. Brett.
    Yea that footage is cool. Looks like Movi handled the boat shakes well. However that is a freshwater enviroment.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

5. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

done! used my real name - Andy, will Freefly provide a splash proof solution for the movi?

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Charles: Thanks for the name change. :)
    I don't know the answer, I'm afraid. We (that is Gary, Brad and I) are volunteer moderators so we are not privy to all of the FF's plans. I'm sure Gary or Brad will step in if they know the answer to your question.

Andy.

7. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

8. Joe Loncraine

Joe Loncraine New Member

Charles did you ever find a solution for waterproofing? And did it work at sea? We are keen to try the same and I would love to get your advice. Thanks so much

9. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

Yes, used the movi at sea. I think have a thread on it .

Just did a night shoot with the Movi out in open waters. In Choppy conditions.
    We sailed out with the gyro switched off. When we reached the location and tried to start the movi the gyros failed to work and the system did not want to come to life. I though perhaps there was a loose wire, was checking through the system and gave up. We sailed to an area which was calm with a harbour for a swim to cool off our frustrations. But as the conditions were calmer when we switched the gyro again and it is started working!
    We kept it on, moved to location and nailed the shots. The system worked great. Keeping a flat horizon, in choppy seas.
    I was wondering, from this situation we learnt that
    The gyros sensors have a problem trying to initialise when in a chaotic environment such as a rolling boat in open seas. Wonder whats the reason for this and if there is anyway to overcome this problem.

Other positive . The lipo powered system gives it a incrediblity long operation duration. Enough for me to sail 1 hour to location , 1 hour shoot , and 1 hour back. And the batteries was still healthy charged up.
    http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/movi-out-in-open-sea.2473/

10. Ville Hyvönen - Helicam

HOT TIP: Making a mövi -battery "hot swap" system is just a matter of soldering together simple Y -cable with one one male and two female -connectors. Lipos are not greatly affected if they are being connected in parallel for some seconds. I been doing it for years. While I was at it I also changed mövi -connectors to xt60 so no need to carry extra charging cables. If you cannot solder, ask your local nerd :)

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member