/dist/images/branding/favicon

Mounting Maxtenna

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Andy Post, May 31, 2016.

1. Andy Post

Andy Post Member

Hey Thrill Seekers,
    I just added the GPS Maxtenna to our M5(s). I read an earlier thread that said they had to trim away the cage where the basic antenna mounts to make it fit. The thing is, we have been adding a short extension to the regular antenna and moving it out from under the UAV body to get a better view of the sky. (did I mention it's on a drone?). We just stick it to the end of one of the legs with a patch of Scotch pseudo Velcro.

My question is, that the regular antenna is more square than the Maxtenna. and how we might mount it. If the Antenna wobbles or vibrates at all, is that going to make it think it's moving around and screw up what we're trying to do? I can bind it tightly to a leg, but then the side facing the leg is right up against the frame.

Do I need to make a widget that will hold it out from the frame a bit?

And...does it need to point straight up or can it be angled, or even horizontal?

Share your thoughts,

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Wobbling should not affect the Maxtenna's ability to receive GPS satellite signals, but I would worry more that the wobbling is mechanically stressing and/or fatiguing something. I use 3M Dual Lock (Velcro for Grown-ups as I have heard it called) and that provides a much more positive snap lock than real (or faux) Velcro.

Andy. (The other one.)

3. Andy Post

Andy Post Member

That's what I use as well. But I've got the patch of the super Velcro stuck to the side of the cylindrical antenna, and that is stuck to one of the legs of the Gimbal, which effectively puts a carbon fiber signal shield on 45 ish degrees of one side. So I tried zip tying the extension cable to the leg instead and the new Maxtenna has a much clearer view of the sky, but of course it's just not as locked to the gimbal as if it was attached more directly. It's not whipping around loose or anything like that.

I've got two, so if it does whip off and fly through a rotor....well then I'm just hosed ;-)

The short extension cable has a double nut on the end to aid in mounting it through a hole. Maybe I can use this as an excuse to get a 3d printer and make a little bracket to mount the cable. Or just stop worrying, and learn to love the bomb.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yes. You can use this posting as official authorization to purchase a 3D printer. :D

I recommend the UP+2 or its larger brother the UP Box. Use 123D Design from Autodesk (free) to design the model.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Andy Post

Andy Post Member

w..w...will you talk to my wife? 3d printer or recover the couch......

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Dear Mrs. Post:

It is essential for Mr. Post's psychological welfare that he purchase a 3D printer as soon as convenient.
    Recovering the couch, whilst beneficial, will not have anywhere near the same palliative effect on him, and thereby, you.

Sincerely
    Andy Johnson-Laird
    Forensic Software and Drone Expert.

It's the best I can do, Andy!

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

Humberto Barchini likes this.
  7. Andy Post

Andy Post Member

I had a professor in college who once famously told a student, "you've got a good point there. Part your hair right and it won't show" But it's worth a try. Maybe I could print her a new couch. Some assembly required.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Alternatively, fix GPS, use copter to earn beaucoup splonders. Recover the couch with said filthy lucre.
    Problem solved...

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

Mike Reid likes this.
  9. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I hate it when an otherwise helpful thread goes all brit-ish. Pffft.

Humberto Barchini likes this.
  10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Oh. Yes. It did rather. I say...

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™