/dist/images/branding/favicon

Mimic won't turn on

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Rob Ruscher, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Rob Ruscher

Rob Ruscher Member

had it working fine yesterday all day. Onset today and it won't turn on. Plugged it into a wall and still no luck. No red dot appears either.

Anyone have this happen or can help me with this? Need it for a few shots

2. Thomas Nakasone

Thomas Nakasone New Member

i have not, but if your in ny/nj you can borrow mine

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

My Mimic's fully charged, so I can't verify whether you need to leave it charging for a few minutes before you can power it. I don't know whether the charger alone provides enough power to fire up the Mimic.

But, before I try the experiment, have you left it plugged in and charging for say, 30 minutes?

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

4. Mike Sutton

Mike Sutton Member

Rob you need a 2amp or higher USB source to charge it or it will not charge properly. Use a 2.4amp USB charger and leave it hooked up for 5 minutes and the light should turn red.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks, Mike. That confirms what I thought. The charger doesn't deliver enough Amps to power the Mimic with a dead flat battery (same as an iPad, btw).

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

6. Rob Ruscher

Rob Ruscher Member

Yeah I was charging from multiple sources and the 2.1 amp port. Worked it out with Bryan and it's working fine now! Thanks for the responses guys

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Rob: Just to clarify - you managed to get it to turn on after leaving charging for a while?

Cheers
    Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

8. Rob Ruscher

Rob Ruscher Member

No but got it fixed thanks to Bryan at support.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

That's great! Where I was going with my question was more to help other forum members who might have the same problem and would wonder what they needed to do to fix it? Can you share any more details, please? :)

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

10. Rob Ruscher

Rob Ruscher Member

I was told that if anyone has this issue just to contact Freefly support and have them help them with it. Seems like a rare thing and there's a lot involved. Kind of a last ditch effort.

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  11. Dale McCready

Dale McCready Member

I'm finding that the Mimic loses charge very quickly though. I understand the next stable firmware will help with this. Currently I'm going to try leaving it charging each night to make sure it's charged on set.

12. Josh Park

Josh Park Member

New firmware update on Mimic v1.2 apparently puts the screen to dim after 30 seconds which the update manual states it will save the power drastically. I have yet to test it but my solution to bad power issue is a small USB battery.

13. Mike Reid

Mike Reid Member

Can anyone who had this problem share the solution that freefly provided them with? I sent them a support ticket this morning but haven't heard back. I have had the mimic charging on 3 different 2A chargers (using 3 different cables)for a total of about 8 hours and it's still dead.

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

That's unusual for tech support not to reply.
    You might want to consider calling them: http://freeflysystems.com/contact-support

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

15. Benoit REGORD

Benoit REGORD New Member

Hello, getting the same issue with my mimic.
    Trying to power it with a 2 A charger but doesn't seem to work so far.
    Does anyone has a solution ? I'm shooting tomorow.
    Thanks guys

16. Benoit REGORD

Benoit REGORD New Member

EDIT: Please note that this is not a general solution for all instances where a MIMIC might fail to power on. If you have a MIMIC that will not power on, please contact Freefly Technical Support at support@freeflysystems.com before you open up the MIMIC and try this procedure.

Thanks
    Andy
    2017-04-07

So, i had the support from Bryan.
    Everything is fine now.
    Here is the solution
    If you feel comfortable opening up the MIMIC, there is a procedure to reset the MIMIC by unplugging the internal battery. You will find the instructions for that below:

1. There are 6 T6 Torx screws on the back that hold the two halves together. See Image 1.
    2. Remove the antenna and note the parting line between the two halves. See Image 2.
    3. The two halves are held together with internal clips. To release them you need to squeeze at the parting line. This is weird to explain, so I made a little video: https://goo.gl/DR2QQM Ithink I did the sharing permissions right in google drive, let me know if it doesn't work and I'll try something else.
    4. Gently pull the two halves apart. There is a cable attached to both sides. See photo 4 for the RF antenna connection. You need to make sure it is seated properly. There is also a GPS antenna, that also needs to be seated properly, while you're in there poking around.
    5. The other half of the MIMIC has the battery and connector that needs to be unplugged and plugged back in. See photo 5 to id the connector. As noted in the photo, there is an annoying screw head, just below the connector, that may interfere will unplugging it. I just used needle nose pliers to angle the connector up a bit to clear the screw.
    6. Once it is unplugged, let it sit for a minute, then plug it back in.
    7. Making sure that you didn't pull the RF antenna connection loose, reassemble the two halves and put the 6 screws back in.
    Now you should be able to power it up. Depending on when the system glitched, the battery may have some juice. If it doesn't power up immediately, plug it in and let it sit for an hour or so before trying again.

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg

Hope it Will help

#16 Benoit REGORD, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2017
  17. Mike Sutton

Mike Sutton Member

Not seeing attached images.

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Benoit:
    Thanks for posting -- but as Mike mentioned, there are no images attached and you get an error if you click on the video link.

Cheers
    Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

19. Iva Vel

Iva Vel New Member

Hi all,

I've just tried the solution Benoit mentioned above, and it has fixed the issue for me (issue was the Mimic controller would not turn on even after being on charge for ever)

It's fairly easy to do without pics, just ensure you are as gentle as possible and don't pull on ANYTHING!

20. Benoit REGORD

Benoit REGORD New Member

Hi,

sorry, i didn't have time to put the pictures in my answer, but it's done now, i've added them on my post.
    As Ivailo said, it's easy to do, even without the pictures, just need to be gentle.

#20 Benoit REGORD, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017