/dist/images/branding/favicon

Mimic Tilt -- Reset / Calibrate

Discussion in 'MIMIC' started by Rick Gerard, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Rick Gerard

Rick Gerard Active Member

You can recalibrate and link MIMIC pan with the push of a button and I use that every time I set up the mimic. The problem I'm facing is that the mimic must be perfectly vertical if I want the camera pointing at the horizon. This is great if you are holding the mimic directly in front of you but if you are trying to use Mimic to point the camera and Bush Pilot to run focus or as shown in all of the marketing photos of Pilot the mimic needs to be at an angle.

Is there any way to set the mimic in a comfortable position like when you are sitting in the back seat of a car so you can easily see the FIZ screen and then zero out camera tilt. Most of the time I need two or three degrees of tilt, a bunch of pan and no roll. The Movi app can easily turn off roll, but there seems to be no way to run the mimic to control a shot without it being perfectly vertical.

Thanks for you suggestions.
    Rick Gerard
    DP/VFX supervisor
    Northern CA

2. Oli Harris

Oli Harris New Member

I recall a setting in the app when connected to mimic itself , a tilt offset or the like.

3. Rick Gerard

Rick Gerard Active Member

Thanks. I found it.

4. Jordan Kahn

Jordan Kahn New Member

I'm having this issue too and not easily finding the solution. Any more specific help would be greatly appreciated. Essentially, im looking for a way to recalibrate Tilt, very much like the Freeze Pan button on the Mimic.

5. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

The older Firmware could have the Mimic either straight up and down or Horizontal... I forget the name of these, but you could change them if you connected the app to your Mimic instead of the Movi.

Now, in Firmware version 1.4, there's an 'Orientation' adjustment, so maybe you can change it more selectively? I've only just noticed it and haven't played around with it much.

6. Jordan Kahn

Jordan Kahn New Member

Graham, thanks! I never found anything in firmware 1.3 that said horizontal or vertical or some suggestion. I don't know if I would have recognized that was my solution either if I had seen it. I was able to hear from Freefly customer support by email though and fixed this issue. The orientation in 1.4 is the ticket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Brady Hall

Brady Hall New Member

Hey folks! I was wondering if you could be more specific about how you reset the default "level position" of tilt on the Mimic. Either I am toweringly stupid (a real possibility) or you're talking about something else here (probably me being stupid, though) but I can't suss out how to set the default tilt position to a more up-facing spot. If you did figure it out, can you explain which config screen, which parameter, etc?? Thank you!

8. Graham Futerfas

First, you're asking about Movi Pro and not M5/10/15 Mimic, correct?

OK, you need to connect your iPhone (or Android) to the MIMIC (not to the Movi Pro like you normally do). Under Configurations, you'll see an "Orientation" adjustment. They may have tinkered with this in firmware updates, but it used to say Logger or Mimic. Now mine has a numerical value, presumably in degrees, but I don't have everything set up to test it.

Anyway, if you change that, you should be able to change the nominal orientation of the Mimic.

Does that explain it? Sometimes people get confused about connecting your phone\app to the Mimic instead of the Movi Pro, but you can connect to either one. Try turning your Movi Pro off while doing this, if it's confusing, and just have the Mimic on while you connect.

9. Brady Hall

Brady Hall New Member

See, I was right. I am a big dummy. I was trying to find this setting on the Mimic itself and not the app. I do find it a little goofy that you need a phone to run a camera, but I suppose that's the world we live in now. Thank you!

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  10. Robert Ruffo

Robert Ruffo Member

Does this work with Mimic Beta and M series as well?

11. Graham Futerfas

I don’t remember, but I don’t think Mimic Beta really needed it. If you want to change orientation, just loosen the two bolts that hold the Mimic onto the handlebars, and orient the Mimic however you like.

Actually, for most Mimic Pro shots, that physical re-orientation works pretty well too. But the Mimic Pro has a visual screen and interface, so maybe some people need to be able to see and access it in different positions, whereas on the older Mimic Beta, that’s less of an issue.

12. Robert Ruffo

Robert Ruffo Member

Ah yes, of course, that makes perfect sense! BTW I have read many of your posts to help me learn about our new Movi. Thank you Graham. You help people you don't even know!

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  13. Graham Futerfas

Glad I can help.

There’s a more selfish reason that I post a lot here and try to diagnose peoples’ problems: I became a better Movi Operator by learning from issues other people have had, and it makes me faster at diagnosing the problems I myself run into. Also, having an active community is so helpful when you’re in a jam.

That said, I probably post too much. I like these forums better than the Facebook groups because they’re searchable and organized, but alas, many of my fellow ops are much more active on Facebook.

I encourage people to be more vocal so I don’t feel like the only know-it-all. :)

Desmond Ochieng' likes this.
  14. Robert Ruffo

Robert Ruffo Member

I agree that the best way to learn is to teach.

And... I also agree that Facebook S^%$ks, for many, layered reasons, working together to create enormously powerful suction.

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

You don't post too much, Graham. There's no such concept when it comes to assisting other people. And you are correct that by studying the issues other people have, it all gets tucked away in zee leetle gray zells..... and so helps to make one a better diagnostician. :)

Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert