/dist/images/branding/favicon

MIMIC 2.0

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by SeBaStIaN BArrEtT, Nov 2, 2016.

1. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT Active Member

Any information? Is it different, is it beta, range, range extender, offered separately, blah blah. Any Info at all.

2. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

Answers by tabb on google doc. Thank u!

MIMIC

1. -What's the new range of the Mimic 2.0?
    1. 600+ feet. The range stated by the radio module we use is much further, but we feel might be overstating. We are seeing 600+ feet reliably and consistently.
    1. -Can the Mimic be used as a handheld camera/MoVi control unit if not connected as the primary controller?
    1. Yes, there is a multi controller infrastructure that will allow controls to be split up between multiple input devices. For instance MoVI Controller runs pan / tilt and mimic runs roll.
    1. -How is the Mimic 2.0 powered?
    1. It has an internal battery and a USB C charge / power port
    1. -Is there room for future camera control updates or software releases to control other cameras? Can they be easily loaded into the MoViPro/Mimic?
    1. Yes, firmware is field updatable and we will be adding new features….we have many more ideas that we did not get to build out.
    1. -Does the Mimic 2.0 have Run/Stop capability?
    1. Yes, the FW we are shooting with right now can control run/stop on RED cameras over RCP

3. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

"
    1. MoVI Pro has an integrated Focus / Iris / Zoom driver. So using the movi controller (and in the future the MIMIC) users can control FIZ with either external motors, or via RED RCP with lenses with internal motors"
    Am I completely ignoring the potential flaws in form factor that pulling focus on a mimic would pose when I say *bleep*. . . thats awesome sounding.

Pretty sure real question is when will the mimic that can do tho be available for sale individually?

#3 SeBaStIaN BArrEtT, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

5. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

Yes, there is a multi controller infrastructure that will allow controls to be split up between multiple input devices. For instance MoVI Controller runs pan / tilt and mimic runs roll.--Tabb

How many devices?

When will MIMIC be able to control FIZ?

6. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

ok. according to Mr. Ocejo, and Quadrocopter apparently,the beta mimics will work with the Movi Pro. The new mimics will not work with old Movi's though.

And according to Bryan Edmonds

"If you want to control a FIZ system on any other lens or camera (or zoom on an EF lens on a RED) you will need external lens control motors and an external controller. The only external controller currently available or compatible with the integrated FIZ driver is the MōVI Controller."

"RCP cable can control camera functionality, including focus and iris, in EF lenses, on a RED camera, through the MIMIC. This is completely separate of the integrated FIZ motor driver."

7. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

So ill wonder aloud again and see if any hot company leaks/facebook posts pop up on here over next couple days. neither myself or my girl have facebook, but i am sure the live thing is cool and informative. Maybe ill get someone to set one up tonight. . . .

Does anyone know of there are any upgrades to the MIMIC? I dunno what range of last mimic was, but if it was less than 600+, thats an upgrade.They say on their website

The MIMIC uses the same transmitter hardware as the MōVI Controller.

The radio in the MIMIC is 2.4ghz and allows control of your MōVI reliably from up to 1200 ft (line of sight).

So you can do the same SUNHAUS range extender, or similar. If not, as FREEFLY is now openly stating, we will get a reliable 600 feet.

Ability to control RED cameras, thats an upgrade. All the potential they speak of with controlling other cameras and FW, sounds really exciting, thats an upgrade.

Anything else?

8. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

Can you point me to the page on our site where it states that the MIMIC uses the same transmitter hardware as the MōVI?

9. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

Yep.

https://freeflysystems.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205518375-What-is-the-range-of-the-MIMIC-Beta-

Under the mimic beta page. Granted, I know I am assuming here. However, Tabb suggested in the release questions that

"The range stated by the radio module we use is much further, but we feel might be overstating. We are seeing 600+ feet reliably and consistently. "

While the hardware for the new mimic may be completely different, unlike the beta, I made an assumption that "much farther" could constitute twice as far, and might mean the same system is being used for MIMIC 2.0, or something similar.

like I said, all assumptions, and I'm sorry if they are misleading, not my intention. Is MIMIC is not slated to use the same equipment as MIMIC beta?

10. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

The electronic hardware in the MIMIC and the MIMIC Beta are completely different. Please do not confuse them as the same product. Any KB articles or other materials talking about the hardware of the MIMIC Beta do not apply to the new MIMIC. Think about it like an iPhone. When Apple releases a new iPhone, it doesn't make sense to pull stat sheets on a previous model and think they will automatically apply to the new model.

The transmitter hardware in the MIMIC (again, not the MIMIC Beta) is the same transmitter that the RT Motion Latitude. RT states that the range of the FHSS radio is up to 1500m line-of-sight.

Radio range is tricky, as it isn't just as simple as having the power to transmit a certain range. Configuration of antenna, ambient RF interference, etc all play into range. We have tested the MIMIC and found that it gets at least 600', in a variety of conditions. So that is what we are rating it for. Your experience with range may be different.

Instead of making assumptions, or accidentally misleading anyone, just ask us. Support@freeflysystems.com

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  11. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

Your right, sorry for assuming. So potentially a little more range, consider they claim 300ft more. Like u said however, stated range may have little to do with actual range.

Did FreeFly see any increased range between the two MIMIC versions?

12. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

So FreeFly's response. . . .

SebAStian,
    The response Bryan and I created for the forums, and any support ticket regarding Mimic range still stands.
    Again, radio range is tricky, as it isn't just as simple as having the power to transmit a certain range.
    Configuration of antenna, ambient RF interference, etc all play into range. We have tested the MIMIC at our headquarters and various locations in the US and found that it gets at least 600', in a variety of conditions. So that is what we are rating it for. Your experience with range may be different, but you can expect at least 600' of reliable control.

There is nothing else we can say about the subject, due to the fact that range will vary from user to user depending on the the environment and conditions.

FreeFly makes no claim that that the 300ft increase in stated range between equipment affected the perceived range of the new MIMIC, and the only stated range for MIMIC BETA is 1200ft, so no accurate point of reference. Excited to get hands on this thing, thanks freefly for all answers, all questions answered.

13. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

1A in talks for Alpha Wheels to be compatible with MIMIC! This would be great, email them, ask for it!