/dist/images/branding/favicon

Making my own mini Movi 5

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by James Aarestad, Mar 28, 2017.

1. James Aarestad

James Aarestad New Member

Hello Everyone

I have a need to fit my Movi 5 inside of small plexiglass dome for filming. (The stock Movi 5 does not fit inside this dome.) I'm planning on taking the Movi 5 apart, and using the components (motors and sensors) to build my own mini Movi 5 gimbal. I'll be customizing it specifically for my camera.

My question is has anyone attempted anything like this before? Obviously this is no easy task. This may take up the next year of my life, lol. Of course balancing and eliminating vibration is critical. But specifically, I'm more concerned about the IMU working correctly. I'm planning on keeping the IMU the same distance from all threes axis so theoretically the algurithoms won't change

Just wanted to see if anyone has attempted this before. Thanks everyone!

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

James:
    I think your project might be one of those "you cannot get there from here...." kind of projects...

I'm speculating, but based on my knowledge of computer control systems, and embedded system software, I suspect that you may find that the gimbal control unit will simply not work correctly, or will not be tunable. Keeping the axes the same is a good idea, but the various masses-in-motion will likely be significantly different.

If you can, I would avoid doing anything that is irreversible as you may ultimately decide to reassemble your M5 and have to pay FF to get it working again. Yeah, you're probably blowing your warranty into the next country over from where you are.... :)

Apologies for either "raining on your parade," or "talking truth to power" -- depending on your point of view....

Andy.

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. James Aarestad

James Aarestad New Member

Hey Andy

You may be right, thanks for you input. Yeah, I figure the warranty is down the drain, lol No worries. Raining on my parade is fine, its good to get other perspectives:) I'm going to proceed anyway and keep my fingers crossed. I may end of wrecking a perfectly good Movi 5. I'm curious myself. Regardless, I'm super impressed with the Movi 5. I own 5 different gimbals, and the Movi 5 holds horizon better than any competitors. Thanks again!

4. Freddie Murphy

Freddie Murphy New Member

It may be worth it to look outside of the Freefly eco system for this one. I've built a gimbal from the ground up using the Phobotic controller. If the gimbal is mechanically sound, it's actually a bit more stable than any Freefly gimbal I've used.

I'd build it out of 15mm rail and adapters to various ipower motors. The hardest part would be finding motor cages and a roll bar that fit your needs.

5. Noel Mathew

Noel Mathew Guest

Hope you can document the journey. Would be a very interesting case study.