/dist/images/branding/favicon

M5 semi soft case?

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by aziz khan, Apr 30, 2014.

1. aziz khan

aziz khan New Member

So I dont have my M5 yet, still waiting, but used a loaner - love it !

when I finally get it, will have to think about storage and transportation between shoots. My intial thoughts where to get a peli case, but they are so large,. heavy and for europe there goes all your weight allowance in one hit for flights.

I am hoping a semi soft bag like think tank airport international might work? or airport security? its semi rigid, and the movi should be able to fold away with the top handle attached (I hope) so just take out and start shooting?

I dont actually have the movi yet, but wondering if someone, or freefly could try it out? The more i look at the hard case, the more i see 60% wasted space, and a doubling of the required weight.

Thanks a lot

2. Jason Comparetto

Jason Comparetto Active Member

aziz khan likes this.
  3. aziz khan

aziz khan New Member

The re balancing I can deal with, i think I am going to stick to a single lens and if I have to run and gun by taking it out I can live with that. The screwing/unscrewing is a totally different thing and a deal breaker for me.

4. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

I would be interested in what options one might use when hiking. I wouldn't want to carry it during a hike the entire time. I am not sure how I would pack it in a bag that would be suitable for carrying on one's back for extended periods of time.

5. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

Have you seen the backpacks for the DJI Phantom systems? Lots of chatter of them on RCGroups... Something like that would be a really cool idea!

Jason... I know you can come up with something??!!

6. aziz khan

aziz khan New Member

Drew - thanks for the link, those backpacks are perfect for traveling, I am pretty certain something can be done with Movi 5, just waiting…….

Actually freefly customer support did mentioned that they where designing custom cases for the m5, but could not give release date.

7. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

Good to know as I've yet to purchase a case for my M5... Going to need something soon but I'd like to see a few different options. I was going to just do a pelican 1600 series (not sure if I'd go 1620 or 1630) but I don't like the pull-n-pluck foam.

8. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

I posted in another thread. The storm mi2875 works great. I was able to use the foam that came in the box for the M5 and store everything for my Movi in there. I did just recently have to mod the foam though to account for the toad-in the hole. I will see if I can share photos soon of what I have done. Its great for non-back packing scenarios.

9. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

Thanks Nicholas, would love to see some photos.

10. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

Here is the storm Mi2765 with the M5 packed inside. I have alternate foam layer for the top layer that I can use with different gear. I have yet to decide what else I want to pack along side the transmitter in the top layer. The foam for the bottom layer was split and adjusted to allow for the toad in the hole. The only assembly required pulling the M5 out of the case was the same assembly required to put it together when you got it. The top handle needs to be installed, if you plan on using it.
    Storm Mi2815 Case Top View.jpg
    Storm Mi2815 Case.jpg

11. aziz khan

aziz khan New Member

Hi Nicolas & thanks for posting.

I love the really small form factor and efficient use of space. I was just wondering, with the depth of the case as it is, would it not be possible to leave the top handle attached?

12. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

I am pretty sure the handle could stay attached but it would stick up through the foam above. I never thought of doing that. I suppose it wouldn't severely impact the space either. Fortunately the case had a bit of room to allow me to make space for the toad-in-the hole.

13. aziz khan

aziz khan New Member

It seems like you have produced the near perfect form factor for the hard case, which does seem to be airline friendly, not to mention car boot friendly:).

So many ppl fly outside US (I am based in Europe) and international airlines are quite strict on weight allowances etc. so far the hard cases have been based around single later storage, which I think is very wasteful in terms of space, bulk and if course weight. It does seem a bit excessive to have a space for a screwdriver, and leave everything underneath for nothing.

I think the dual layer system is the way to go, thanks again for the brilliant idea :)

14. gary john higgins

gary john higgins New Member

hey, this soft rigid case with wheels weighs little, and i just set the freefly vertically into it, fully rigged. no folding, ready to fly. pockets and space for accessories. fits in one car seat. just for daily use, not if u need to minimize for airline. image.jpg

Cuong Dinh likes this.
  15. Cuong Dinh

Cuong Dinh New Member

Hi Gary John.
    I like the way you setup stand with MoVI. Can you share with us model of the soft case? Thanks.

16. Alasdair McBroom

Alasdair McBroom New Member

Hey Nicholas. Just to clarify, which case is this? I can't seem to find the one you have listed as MI2765. Thanks

17. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

It was a typo. iM2875.

Alasdair McBroom likes this.
  18. Alasdair McBroom

Alasdair McBroom New Member

Thought as much. Thanks :)

19. aziz khan

aziz khan New Member

I think it was mentioned somewhere that freefly would be making custom cases for movi? is there an update on this?

I note that besteady and Ronin both come with quite compact custom cases as standard and it would be nice to be able to buy something similar from freefly

20. Adam Kirby

Adam Kirby New Member

Any chance of sharing the make and model of this case?

Thanks