/dist/images/branding/favicon

M5 batteries issues

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Ben Fogarty, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Ben Fogarty

Ben Fogarty New Member

I have 4 dead M5 batteries, all brand new. 2 where used a few times before dying on a rental job, prefect, the other two replacement batts have gone after one charge. Has anyone else had battery issues? I have had an M10 since they came out and both batts going strong... I have contacted freefly and waiting for reply.... Charger set to lipo and 1A, lights just flashing, not solid, can't get an cell reading as they are completely dead.

Not that I ran them all flat but if a batt runs to low will it never charge again?

Is there a bad batch of batts around?

Thanks in advance...

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Ben, if they go below 3 volts then they are toast. Leaving the MoVI turned on while not in use and forgetting is a typical cause. Not likely user error on your part since you haven't had an issue with your M10 so you know the drill on charging. See what Freefly support tells you.

3. Ben Fogarty

Ben Fogarty New Member

Thanks Gary...

4. Sudhava Ramesh

Sudhava Ramesh New Member

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Love this guy's intro music for "Oh Jose Can You See Production."

I've tried this technique on a couple of small capacity LiPo's with mixed results.
    It basically works by fooling the charger into charging what it "thinks" is a Nickel Mercury battery -- and, if the LiPo will absorb that charge and bring the individual cell voltages up above 3.0 volts, then you can tell the charger it's a LiPo and resume charging.

The mixed results were that sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. In all but one case (where the battery had been overdischarged for long time!), the cell voltages came up, however, the recovered LiPos never seemed to absorb the same amount of charge as they did before I revived them.

But, your mileage may vary.....

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

Sudhava Ramesh likes this.
  6. Sudhava Ramesh

Thanks Andy.
    I am planning to try this because my battery is at 2.7 Volt in one cell and the rest are above 3.5

7. Roy Mills

Roy Mills New Member

sorry but i really wouldn't do this ............. its not very safe, i have personally set fire to my own house doing it ! Lipo fires are not very easy to put out either !

8. Sudhava Ramesh

I appreciate your concern Roy but I am going to do this in a safe environment with all precautions. I understand the science of these batteries now. Enough to be safe. One of my cells is below 3v so i intend to bring it up and balance the lot of them. Plus I can't afford to keep buying new batteries every time they drop a little below 3V

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Ouch!
    But Roy speaks the truth! LiPo's are not your friend!

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert