/dist/images/branding/favicon

M5 and larger MOVI accessory batteries

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Dave King, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone tried using the larger Movi accessory batteries on their M5. I know the battery is a bit longer than the M5 battery bracket but is there any point in having the top of the cage? It's taller than the MOVI battery and I don't see why the top lip can't just be removed.

Thoughts?

2. One reason the 'Top Lip' is there, is so the battery won'y fall out when the MoVI is being used in the inverted position.

3. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

NO worries there for me, I'm aerial :) If the movi's upside down I got more to worry about than the battery. :eek:

Ashley Fairfield likes this.
  4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Dave: Check out the ALTA. If you get an ALTA you can indeed mount the MōVI upside down while the ALTA is flying right-side up.

Andy.

Chris Harrison likes this.
  5. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Why do you want a larger battery?
    Even powering a HDMI converter and vTX (shh...don't tell anybody) I still get 30-45 minutes (2-3 flights) on mine.

Cam Batten likes this.
  6. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Snip snip .... that little plastic tab is gone on both of my M5's it just got in the way of larger/standard size batteries. I didn't like carrying around M5 batteries and M10 batteries, so with the plastic tab removed I use the same batteries to power the M5, the Red Epic, M10 and M15.

As for falling out when inverted I have been using the M5 on a car mount that I have built in the inverted mode and haven't lost a battery yet.

I do wish the M5 had stayed with the standard size batteries and battery cage.

just my 2 cents, your milage may vary

7. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I think that decision had to do with the MR aerial version. I think every effort was made to keep the M5's weight down, as it's slightly heavier than the M10 because (among other things) it doesn't use the same exotic materials the M10 does. And it's meant to fly on smaller copters.