/dist/images/branding/favicon

MōVI M10 at Burton Snowboards

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Gary Haynes, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Amazing opening continuous shot for Burton Snowboards.

"Check out the amazing opening shot in Burton's new web series [SNOWBOARDING]. We will release a behind the scenes edit soon to show how it was captured with the MōVI."

2. Phil Macdonald

Its pretty awesome huh!!! I think from an edit point of view that opening montage lasts waaaay too long but it without a doubt shows the huge potential for some awesome shots with the MoVI and for us and this forum I guess thats what counts :) Am really looking forward to the influx of video's that are going to appear when people start receiving their MoVI's!!!

3. Carey Lee Coffey

This is only the tip of the creative iceberg. The possibilities are endless. The MōVI finally brings freedom of camera movement to filmmakers. I've waited my entire life for this product.

4. Jeff Cook

Jeff Cook Member

Very nice video, love the 2nd floor to 1st floor move.

I'm right there with you Carey, I cannot wait to explore the possibilities.

5. Phil Macdonald

Waited your entire life?!!! wow....these few months that we have been waiting from announcement to delivery must feel like a drop in the ocean then :) 1 day boys and girls, 1 day....unfortunately I am yet to receive my 2 week warning so its at the very least 2 weeks and 1 day for moi!!!

6. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

What kind of equipment are they using to mount the FF and RC rigs together like that? I see they're using ziplocks but I don't recognise the other stuff. Does the harness come with the MoVI for the RC rig?

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Brett if you mean the equipment in the BTS the RC transmitter holder and harness are from www.secraft.net. The remote focus was a Redrock micro, at least that's what it looks like. Not sure what it is mounted on. Looks like some Redrock rails and a handle. Wireless HDMI is from Teradek.

None of the gear you see is included.

8. Brett Harrison

Ah yes, I might have mentioned I was referencing the BTS

Thank you Gary that's what I was wanting to know. Here are some screen captures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I see they are using the RED handle for the FF rig, but the other stuff IDK. Except that it's perhaps RedRockMicro by the color of it.

The monitor and hood is from SmallHD I believe, and that follow focus unit is Bartech.

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

They have been using a mix of Bartech and am now seeing some Red Rock wireless focus gear. Pretty similar with the big white knob.

10. Jeff Cook

Jeff Cook Member

11. Lliam Worthington

Once again, Corey and team, great stuff. Here is a bunch of my questions about the shoot that Corey very generously took the time to answer on REDuser - which may be of interest to others.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey Liam, Stoked to meet another Future Movi Operator. So far I have personally been on 4 completely different shoots with the MOVI and the boys at the office have been in the field for the last 3 months consitently shooting with the MOVI. The M10 has come a long ways since NAB. It is has gotten very easy to balance and set up and I am sure you will be blown away with what you can accomplish. I will try to answer qusestions as best as I can."

How do you find the weight with a long one shot like the factory scene?
    The weight is definately a slight issue but not bad. Fully rigged out with an Epic, SideHandle, redvolts, MOvi, CP2 glass and monitors and Teradek w were running around 15lbs. The first shot was about 2.5 minutes long and was holding it 2 minutes of that with all the passoffs we did. Basically get yourself to a gym. Steadycam guys take care of themselves and being in slightly good shape you will be fine.

Have you tried it with an easy rig or on an arm?
    I actually just used the MOVI for some 15min interviews with the Easy Rig. Works amazing! If you aren't doing huge moves I would say an EASY Rig is an easy choice to have in your arsenal.

What Monitor and cable set up were you using with your epic? And what is your preferred set up operator wise? One op, one remote pan & tilt, one on focus?
    For Monitoring we had a Small HD DP 4 onboard for reference via HDMI. Then we used the Teradek Bolt to broadcast via SD-HDMI to our controler as well as an AC with a third monitor to pull Focus. My personal setup consists of an Atomos Blade on board for monitoring and the ability to capture Pro-Res. My monitor for the controler panel is a DP-7 Pro and my third and Fourth monitors for my AC and Director are also both AC-7 from Small HD with Teradek Bolt HD-SDI receivers

How tricky/fiddly do you think it is to have on set?
    The intial setup for you shoot take roughly an hour to get all geared up and balanced. Once you have your M10 all configured on set the MOVI becomes basically hassle free. I usually just use a C-Stand to let the MOVI live in on when not in use.

I've been hearing a few people say it's niche will be for "specialty" shots, whereas some are clearly looking/hoping it to be a bit more of a one stop grip shop, love your thoughts on this? Some have posted that they thought it would not work well for slow/gradual shots. What has your experience been?
    I basically use the MOVI for as much as possible when I am looking for Movement. You could easily shoot an entire commercial or Movie on the MOVI if you want to. It really depends on the look you are going for. All I can say is don't let other influence you. Once you get this thing in your hands you will quickly realize its amazing range and potential. There is no doubt in mind it will change the way you approach shots and will save massive amounts of time on set or in the commercial world

What do you make of majestic mode?
    I have not had a huge amount of time on Majestic mode but it is a powerful asset. I am heading to CHile in a few weeks to shoot a bunch of Skiing and Snowboarding with the MOVI. The few times I have used Majestic it has worked beautifully and you can make ajustments to how the MOVI reacts to your movements in Majestic mode via the FreeFly GUI

Finally, how robust do you think it is to the general rigours and wear and tear of shooting?
    The MOVI M10 is very robust. I mean you can't drop it off a building or anything but all in all I have had no problems with its realiability. Last week we were in New Mexico shooting BMX for Red Bull. We were running around all day in the Sand and Dirt, transporting it in cars, hanging out of Helicopters and using Razors to get high speed tracking. The M10 worked magically.

12. Phil Macdonald

Really interesting read Liam, decent questions and well answered by Corey. We are really looking forward to getting this in hand and getting started in crafting some amazing stuff with it :)

13. Carey Lee Coffey

Can someone please give me a break down of the parts he's using for this follow focus rig? I see the monitor, FF unit and straps on his chest... what is the monitor and FF attached to and what kind of handle is he using?

IBTuJUY.jpg

14. Brett Harrison

^ that's what I would like to know :)