/dist/images/branding/favicon

MōVI FAQ's

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Gary Haynes, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

You can read the MōVI FAQ's and specs HERE. There are photos and specs in the PDF.

Here is the FAQ List:

How do I order the MōVI M10 or MōVI MR?
    You can order the MōVI M10 or MōVI MR through our website: www.freeflysystems.com. A $2,500 deposit reserves your pre-order. The $2,500 deposit is fully refundable.

Once I place my pre-order, when will the MōVI M10 and MōVI MR be available to ship?
    Given the overwhelming demand, we anticipate that the MōVI M10 and MōVI MR will begin shipping in the third quarter.

What is the price of the MōVI M10 and MōVI MR?
    Each of the MōVI M10 and MōVI MR is priced at $14,995.

What are the differences between the MōVI M10 and MōVI MR?
    The MōVI M10 or MōVI MR are similar with minor structural differences. The MōVI MR is optimized for use on a CineStar multi-rotor and is slightly lighter weight. The M10 has some features on the gimbal to make handheld operation easier. The MōVI MR can be used as a handheld gimbal and will include the accessories to convert it to a handheld gimbal. Additionally, the M10 can be used on a Multi Rotor with the purchase of some optional mounting brackets.

What items come with the MōVI M10 package?
    The MōVI M10 package comes with the following items:
    (1) MōVI M10; (2) Transmitter for dual operator use; (3) Batteries;
    (4) Battery charger; and (5) MōVI stand.

What items come with the MōVI MR package?
    The MōVI MR package comes with the following items: (1) MōVI MR; (2) Batteries; (3) Battery charger; (4) MōVI stand; and (5) Conversion kit for handheld use.

Should I purchase the MōVI M10 or MōVI MR?
    It depends. If you think you will primarily be using the MōVI for aerial filming with some handheld use, we recommend purchasing the MōVI MR. If you will be using the MōVI for handheld use and will not be using it on a multirotor, we recommend purchasing the MōVI M10.

If I purchase the MōVI MR, can it also be used handheld?
    Yes. The MōVI MR will include the accessories to convert it for handheld use.

If I purchase the MōVI M10, can I later use it on a multi-rotor?
    Yes. The accessories to convert the MōVI M10 for use on a multi-rotor will be available as an optional add-on.

What does M10 stand for?
    M10 refers to the weight that the MōVI can carry. The M10 can carry up to 10 pounds.

What does MR stand for?
    MR refers to multi-rotor.

How much weight can the MōVI M10 and MōVI MR carry?
    Each of the MōVI M10 and MōVI MR can carry up to 10 pounds of weight.

What cameras have you tested on the MōVI M10 and MōVI MR?
    We have tested the RED EPIC, RED Scarlet, Canon C500, Canon C300, Panasonic GH3, Black Magic Cinema Camera, Canon 1DC, Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 5D Mark III, and Sony FS100.

What is the biggest camera the MōVI M19 and MōVU MR can use?
    We designed the MōVI M10 and MōVI MR to target a 10 pound payload. We have tested them with a RED EPIC with Canon Cine Primes and Compact Primes with great results.

What is the longest lens the MōVI M10 or MōVI MR can use?
    We have tested the MōVI M10 and MōVI MR with up to 120mm focal lengths with very nice results. We believe an even longer lens is possible, but can become problematic to fit in the gimbal.

Can a single operator run the MōVI M10 or MōVI MR in handheld use?
    Yes. There are several single operator modes. The primary one is called “Majestic Mode,” which allows the user to pan and tilt the gimbal by moving the handles.

How do you configure the MōVI?
    We have a wireless Bluetooth GUI that can operate on both Windows and Android, which allows you to easily and quickly configure all the parameters on the MōVI. The GUI also graphs all pertinent date from the MōVI, so you can monitor the performance real-time.

Can the MōVI record the camera movement for the VFX team?
    Yes. The MōVI can record the following parameters:
    · Pan, Tilt and Roll Angle
    · Height
    · GPS Position
    · Velocity (both vertical and topographical)
    · Acceleration
    · Temperature

Can the MōVI be mounted to an Easyrig?
    Yes. We have tested this and it works well.

Can the MōVI be mounted to a Steadicam?
    Yes. A well set-up Steadicam arm does a great job of mitigating translational movement, while the MōVI does a great job of correcting angular error. They complement each other nicely.

What else can the MōVI be mounted to?
    The MōVI is highly flexible and can be mounted to cars, boats, helicopters, planes, remote helicopters, bicycles, remote cars…almost anything. We find it is often easiest and quickest to just handhold the MōVI while riding in any of these vehicles.

How do you control focus, iris and zoom?
    A remote wireless focus, iris, zoom device currently must be utilized. It is imperative that the inner gimbal is not touched during operation or it will disturb the stabilization.

How much do the MōVI M10 and MōVI MR weigh?
    Each of the MōVI M10 and MōVI MR weighs a little more than 3 pounds.

How is the 10 pound weight capacity for the MōVI M10 and MōVI MR calculated?
    The 10 pound weight capacity relates to the camera, lens and any accessories mounted to the inner gimbal. Additional accessories in excess of the 10 pound capacity can be mounted to the handles and outer frame.

How long will the MōVI batteries last?
    The MōVI will come with enough batteries to power the system for an entire day of shooting. Each battery lasts for approximately 3-4 hours.

Is it difficult to balance the camera on the MōVI?
    Balancing the gimbal requires a good understanding of the principals behind the gimbal’s operation. Once the operator understands these concepts, balancing the gimbal is a straightforward process. Freeefly will be releasing extensive instructional content to assist in teaching end users. Additionally, we have a user forum where information will be available.

Are there any distributors for the MōVI M10?
    At this time, Freefly will be handling direct sales and support for the MōVI M10.

Are there any distributors for the MōVI MR?
    The MōVI MR can be purchased directly from Freefly or through any of our multi-rotor distributors. A list of our multirotor distributors can be found at www.freeflysystems.com.

Where can I purchase the Freefly line of CineStar multi-rotors and accessories?
    If you are interested in purchasing any of our CineStar multi-rotor products or accessories, please contact one of our multi-rotor distributors. A list of our multi-rotor distributors can be found at www.freeflysystems.com.

Can the MōVI MR be used on a multi-rotor other than the CineStar?
    We have not tested the MōVI MR on a multi-rotor other than the CineStar. The CineStar is an integrated system optimized for aerial filming with the MōVI MR.

Where can the MōVI M10 and MōVI MR be shipped?
    The MōVI M10 and MōVI MR can be shipped worldwide.

What is the MōVI M5?
    The MōVI M5 is our smaller gimbal designed for DSLR sized cameras up to 5 pounds.

What is the price of the MōVI M5?
    We anticipate that the MōVI M5 will be priced around $7,500.

When will the MōVI M5 be released?
    We will be releasing updated information on the MōVI M5 as soon as we have a firm release date. Our priority right now is delivering the MōVI M10 as quickly as possible. Subscribe to our MōVI email list through our website to receive the most up-to-date information on the MōVI M5.

What is the MōVI M20?
    The MōVI M20 is our largest gimbal designed for cinema cameras up to 20 pounds.

What is the price and release date of the MōVI M20?
    The price and release date of the MōVI M20 have not been set. Subscribe to our MōVI email list through our website to receive the most up-to-date information on the MōVI M20.

Will you be offering any MōVI demo days?
    Yes. We plan to offer a few MōVI demo days around the USA. Subscribe to our MōVI email list through our website to receive information on demo days and locations.

I have a project coming up and would like to use the MōVI M10 before production units are available. Could we rent the MōVI M10 for the project?
    The MōVI is not currently available at rental houses. However, Freefly is passionate about filmmaking, andwe have a strong interest in getting these units out on productions that would make the best use of the MōVI. Please contact movi@freeflysystems.com regarding rates and availability for a MōVI M10 rental with tech and operator.

How do I become a MōVI reseller?
    At this time, Freefly will be directly handling the sale and support of the MōVI M10. Once we have a sufficient supply of MōVIs, we will be looking to add strategic resellers worldwide. If you are interested in becoming a reseller, please email reseller@freeflysystems.com. We will contact you when we are ready to add MōVI
    resellers.

Who should I contact for a press inquiry?
    For press inquiries, email press@freeflysystems.com.

Steve Maller and Brad Meier like this.
  2. Mark MacEwen

Mark MacEwen Member

Hi,
    I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that the movi 10 could take the Sony f55, but don't see that camera on the list, and it is definitely a camera I would be looking to use with it, can some one confirm if it will work ?
    Thanks

Mark

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Mark,
    I have no inside knowledge of the MōVI, but I believe its compatibility with cameras is based solely on weight and geometry. So if your F55 kit is within the 10 pound limit and the camera's not super unbalanced, then it should work fine. But if the MōVI is anything like the current FF gimbals, balancing a camera is not for the impatient. The Freefly folks claim that it only takes 5-10 minutes, but believe me, it's not that easy...

4. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Mark I had several questions at NAB on the F55. As Steve said it is a weight issue. I asked at the Sony booth for the weight of just the body, no lens, battery, etc. Don't know if I got a honest answer but was told it was 8 lbs. That might be too heavy. Size would not be an issue. Might need longer side arms but that is something that is easily changed.

5. Mark MacEwen

Mark MacEwen Member

Thanks for getting back to me Gary and Steve,
    I think the info on the f5 and f55 was posted on one of Vincent Laforet's early posts, which really interested me and was a big clincher for me, as its a camera that is going to be used more and more in my line of work, especially with the ease of using it for all applications over a red epic etc. So would love to find out more when it gets tested with the movi 10.
    On spec sheets I have seen the sony f55 claimed to be 4.88 lbs for body only so had hoped it would work.
    So as I understand it, you can extend the width of the movi to fit wider cameras, is there any issue with the length or depth of cameras to fit the system or is it modular enough to fit most cameras within the weight range ?

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

You can do longer side arms also. Just a matter of being able get balanced. Use a lipo for power to keep weight down. Issue would be all up weight depending on lens and any additional a like follow focus/wireless HD.

Tov Belling likes this.
  7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Here comes a series of MōVI updates.

8. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

MōVI horseback

kjetil tønnesen likes this.
  9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

MōVI does Saturday Night Live

HERE

10. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Henning does 100mm

11. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

12. Colin Snow

Colin Snow Active Member

When do you get to the MoVI 5? It reads like it's not really a priority. And all the cinema action and press only seems to reaffirm that. I see videos like this one and I am ready to drop FFS all together and move over to a turnkey DJI package. Honestly. They are in refinement stage and FFS hasn't even release yet.

13. Cédric Bourgoin

Cédric Bourgoin Distributor

Hi Colin,

it seems you didn't notice that the Z15 is VERY limited in the system it can handle.
    Actually there is only one system announced officially that can handle 10 pounds with direct drive system: the Movi.
    I have always considered the zenmuse as a perfect proof of concept but absolutly not a professional system: I don't know a single one professional that is working with ONLY GH2 and single lens OR NEX5 with one lens.

Freefly system have given the proof that their systems are build by professionals for professionals. I really understand you are impatient but that's the price of very good dedicated system :)

14. Colin Snow

Colin Snow Active Member

No. I did notice. I have several hours of camera control time with a NEX-7 on a S800 with Zenmuse and understand both it's capabilities and limitations. Hunt around and you will find professionals using this platform with good results. Hunt around some more and you will find others who are converting their FFS gimbals to direct drive with brushless motors. Some of them soon to offer conversion kits.

15. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Another use of MōVI HERE

Steve Maller likes this.
  16. Nick Kolias

Nick Kolias Moderator
    Staff Member

Gary, that was a fun one. We did aerials for the Orthocare app hiking shots and the Thornton Media app arctic circle shots. The other aerials were done with a full size helicopter and Cineflex.

The hiking shots were in our backyard up on Tiger Mountain. We used a Cinestar HL and Mōvi MR with Sony FS100 mounted. Working up in Inuvik, NT was one of the most challenging shoots I've ever been on. The ambient temp was -4°F for the Eskimo dance shots. The equipment held up well but my hands were a different story. :D Just getting up there was quite an adventure with five different flights on various aircraft that got smaller the further north we traveled. Two of the Eskimo girls were extremely interested in our CS8 and it turns out they both fly blade mcx coax helis. Perhaps future aerial cinematographers- and they were nice enough to give me a few pointers too! :D

[​IMG]
    I would have preferred a 737 but the Hawker does have character

[​IMG]
    Fastest and best baggage claim ever

[​IMG]
    Camera operator Chris Towey and I at 11pm. Land of the midnight sun!

[​IMG]
    Staging gear for the truck driving shot on a frozen lake

[​IMG]
    Love the license plates!

[​IMG]
    Family picture we joined in on

[​IMG]
    Prepping for the drum dance shots

[​IMG]
    Future CS pilots!

[​IMG]
    Shooting scenics at 2°F. The Mōvi and CS were happy as clams with those temps. The air was so dense I was lifting off at 1/4 stick and the sound from the props was very muted. Crazy stuff.

nick

Steve Maller likes this.
  17. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Nick great stuff. Thanks for the background. Gotta love that they have vertically challenged baggage handlers and save money by only using 1/2 of a door :)

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I also note the use of the "Haynes Seal of Approval" Blue Tarp LZ. :)
    I presume the LiPos made reasonable hand warmers too?
    Andy.

19. Nick Kolias

Nick Kolias Moderator
    Staff Member

Gary, that baggage claim (at Dawson City) is hard to beat. We exited the plane and walked about twenty seconds into the 'terminal'. They opened that little door and started sliding flight cases in about two minutes after that. Efficient!

Andy, I didn't know our blue tarp had a Haynes Seal of Approval but I feel better now. :D Seriously, the tarp was a must to help prevent all the super fine snow powder from clinging to the lens. I always at least carry the HSA blue tarp but sometimes also travel with a small, folding camp table to use as an elevated LZ. For local operations we also have what I affectionately refer to as the Nimitz LZ. It's a 6x6' platform we use either on the ground or as a rolling LZ when mounted to a magliner senior. Between the tarp, elevated LZ's, some compressed air and a puffer we can usually operate from any surface. Whatever it takes to keep the front element clean. :)

[​IMG]
    Ground based Nimitz

[​IMG]
    Magliner based Nimitz

The LiPo's were never utilized as hand warmers as they didn't get warm enough! They were treated like royalty though by staying in a running, heated vehicle at all times. Despite the cold our flight durations were close to normal.

nick

20. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I was looking for cart just like the one in your second image above....do you happen to recall where you got it, please?

And yes, having the HSA Blue Tarp® is a must. I also have a small plywood LZ that sits on top of four plastic tubs in the back of the SUV -- it serves as landing deck for transporting the C8 a work surface on top of a camping table, and a resting place for champagne and hors d'ourvre after a day of shooting. The latter being the most important use, of course. I'm sure this would get the HSA seal too.

Andy.

Kristian C likes this.