/dist/images/branding/favicon

Long Range Wireless HD Video

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Jörg Stucke, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Jörg Stucke

Jörg Stucke New Member

Hi guys,

i´m looking for a long range HD wireless video system which works in a range of 150-200 meters with low latency 1<->10ms that we can mount on Mövi / UAV.

I tested all products on the market, they worked but the range is almos not longer as 30-50 meters.

Anyone knows a solution?

Thanks!
    Jörg

2. Juha Knaapi

Juha Knaapi New Member

Teradek with it's upcoming Clip H.264 2.4/5GHZ WiFi TX, 4 frames of latency, pretty much only downside at the moment is that it can only stream to iOS devices. Luckily they have a receiver coming in the future / Soon.

Teradek Clip - Link here
    Clip Topic on FF forums

3. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

The Paralinx Tomahawk is also a future option. I think some folks at IBC got fresh info in-person, but I personally don't have any updates newer than a couple of months. They say it's 1200-2000 ft. Beyond that I don't really know much.

4. Eric Ulbrich

Eric Ulbrich Member

I know the tomahawk is gonna run you around 10 grand. If you need the distance go with that! If money isnt a worry go with either a transvideo titan (15-20K) or a boxx technologies (15-20k)

5. Jörg Stucke

Jörg Stucke New Member

Thanks for all the infos. My budget is around 6-10k for this. The cheaper the better of course :)
    Cause i´m located in switzerland, a european dealer would be great.

I like to use this for follow focus pulling in situations where i dont have direct line of sight.

I found another solution here, it´s from a german company.
    http://rebotnix.com/?page_id=2673

Demo video:

I can´t see any pricing infos on their page. I have sent them a quote request.

I also found this one, but also no pricing and i can´t see latency infos or demo videos:
    http://www.nebtek.com/products/Microlite-HD-Wireless-VideoTransmitter.html

6. Michael Gailing

Hey Jorg,

I know Gary from Rebotnix -- he is a Teradek Cube power user!

I don't know much about his latest transmitter, but rest assured he makes very fine gear.

The Nebtek microLite is made by IMT. My understanding is that it will get you serious range, but there is a latency approaching 120ms.

If you're really serious, you might want to lay down some serious cash on this bad boy (I hear its about $30,000):

http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/cobham-spotlights-solo-nano-tx-at-ibc--/220452

As for Teradek, we don't have anything that has huge distance w/ 0 delay....yet... :)

7. Wolf Schiebel

Wolf Schiebel Active Member

The IMT Microlite is about 38.000 $ and the latency is too high for focus pulling. We tested the range at about 800 m...
    The weight is about 10 oz and it takes some battery power, too. Nice piece, but not for me .....

I will start with the Paralinx, and maybe later try the Rebotnix..

Cheers Wolf

Guilherme Barbosa likes this.
  8. Bill Collydas

Bill Collydas Active Member

9. Wolf Schiebel

...hmm that is 300 ft (100m) and i never met any one using it reaching more than 30 - 40 m in real life, same as Paralinx. (it´s using the same chipset) The Teradek and the Paralinx are no long range systems, but unbeatable for their price and low-latency...

Wolf

10. Jörg Stucke

Jörg Stucke New Member

Here is a good test on youtube where you can see that all these devices have "short" range, i think the range was not more then 20-30 meters, or?

still waiting for the rebotnix quote and a test unit.

I take a look at cobham solo7 specs:
    http://www.cobham.com/about-cobham/...rs-and-receivers/solo7-nano-tx/datasheet.aspx

$30k for an PAL/NTSC transmitter with only analog inputs?

Crazy..who will pay this?

Jörg

11. Jörg Stucke

Jörg Stucke New Member

i got the final prices.

the rebotnix rb-2 cost 6500 USD for a complete system The transmitter has HDMI, the receiver HD-SDI with loop. The pure HD-SDI on transmitter and receiver cost 7000 USD and coming in october/november 2013.

Rebotnix also told me that they have "COFDM?!?!?" options for teradek cube encoders in a price range of 4000 USD. As i know the cube has 4-5 frames delay?! Means >150ms latency, or?

I also found another system that i try to test:
    http://www.imt-broadcast.com/microlite-hd-elite-system?cat=Products

Price range is 13.000 USD and i heard it has 120-150ms latency.

A lot of options, i really dont know what to do :)

12. Wolf Schiebel

The 13.000 $ are for the transmitter only.....complete system starts at 38.0000,00 $

Best,

Wolf

13. Jörg Stucke

Jörg Stucke New Member

hi wolf,

s**** you are right, the $13.000 is only for the transmitter. Sorry dont saw this.

Do you know the different between OFDM and COFDM, is OFDM better then COFDM?

As far as i can see most wireless systems are using OFDM.

Thx
    Jörg

14. Alan Rencher

Alan Rencher Member

15. Gaylen Nebeker

Gaylen Nebeker New Member

Hello All,

Nebtek is the official entertainment and broadcast outlet for the Microlite HD transmitter.
    It is not $38,000!
    http://www.nebtek.com/products/Microlite-HD-Wireless-VideoTransmitter.html
    Have a look at the videos on this page. This is the main transmitter used for car to car on commercials and movies presently.
    There are other solutions but this is the best price ever seen for a low latency (120 ms) COFDM LINK.
    I have used this this for air to ground on major motion pictures including The Host and Iron Man 3 at distances over 1 mile with amazing results.

Gaylen Nebeker
    DIT
    Video Assist
    CEO
    NEBTEK.COM
    801-467-1920

16. Sam Donaghy Bell

Why pay 17K for 120ms latency when you can pay 8K for <1ms latency with the bolt pro 2000..?

17. Wolf Schiebel

Or 7K for the Tomahawk? 120ms latency is too much to pull focus or operate the remotehead properly ... It doesn't matter that much for broadcast... The range and quality is great indeed...

And my former partner company paid about 40.000,00 € for the microlite in the end of 2012...

Sam Donaghy Bell likes this.
  18. Gaylen Nebeker

OUCH!!

19. Gaylen Nebeker

It's about reliability. I have been a video assist operator since 1986. I hate it when the director says : "I lost picture again!"

The microlite operates on a narrow band width in the 5.7 to 5.8 license free band with 12 channels to choose from. It is a one way radio.

Bolt 2000 and Tomahawk use Amimon Technology which require a constant 2 way communication between the transmitter and receiver and use about 40 megabit band width and they must vacate the frequency if any other signal is detected.
    This leaves about 5 channels to operate in with in 5.2 to 5.8 band. Because of this requirement the TX and RX must both change channels often which is why sometimes they just fail to link.

I am not against that technology and I own Teradek 2000 and Paralinx transmitters. They have their place but I would not use them in a long range application.

Gaylen Nebeker