/dist/images/branding/favicon

Lipo saver wiring question

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Dave King, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I have been using a 7" monitor for my pilot downlink monitor that has a power in and a power out. I would like to upgrade it to a 8" monitor that only has power in so I need a way to split power to the receiver and the monitor. Can the Lipo saver handle the current draw to feed both sources?

Sebastian Meredith likes this.
  2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Dave:
    Good question. I can't find any data about the switching capacity of the MK Liposaver -- you may have to post a question on the mikrokopter.de forum. From visual appearances, it looks like there may be a MOSFET on the board, which would imply quite a large current, but if you get it wrong you'll turn the Lipo Saver into a one-time fuse.

Andy.

3. Matt Sharp

Matt Sharp Member

The lipo saver is rated at 5A. Do you know what the current draw is for the setup?

4. Dave King

Thanks Guys. I don't know the power of the monitor. How do you guys power both your FPV monitor and your FPV receiver?

5. Matt Sharp

Matt Sharp Member

Both of mine are able to accept greater than 12v, so I run a 3s lipo with a split harness for the power. One of my receivers has a built in low voltage alarm, and I use a balance port low voltage for the camera ops monitor and receiver.

6. Dave King

I guess I could power one off the deans connector and have a deans connector to power connector to power the receiver and use the balanced lead with lipo saver to go to the monitor? I never tried using both the deans connector and the balanced connector for power sources off a lipo. I guess that wouldn't be a problem?

7. Matt Sharp

Matt Sharp Member

I wouldn't think it would be an issue. It's all the same power source, but you would lose the ability for the lipo saver to cut off all of the power draw. All of my receivers and monitors are powered from small barrel connectors. I just use one deans and split off to 2 barrels, with a lipo alarm on the balance plug.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I very much doubt it's going to be pulling 5 Amps, Dave. Can you do a Google search for your monitor and tack on the word "specifications" to see if you can find out the power rating online?

Why not make a splitter cable?

But, to answer your question, you can use the balancer lead and the main connector -- the battery charger does it. :) But the wires on the balancer cable are, of course, much thinner.

Andy.

9. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Y adpater, actually a 3 way, Monitor, Iftron Yellowjacket and 5v stepdown for the FPV recorder.

10. Matt Sharp

Matt Sharp Member

This thread reminded me to check my gimbal current draw, so I went ahead and checked my fpv monitor and receiver too.

It's a 5.8 duo receiver and a readymade rc 8 inch monitor. Current draw is .6 amps

11. Dave King

Thanks guys I like the idea of making a splitter deans connector and then just use the lipo for the warning.

12. Sebastian Meredith

Sebastian Meredith Active Member

Hey Dave,
    I was getting irritated with all the wires and Y adapters etc. so I opened up my fpv monitor and created a split of power etc internally. So now I have one wire coming out the bottom to connect my lipo. Then 2 coming out the top, one to power the receiver and the other for the video feed. So nothing plugs into the side of the monitor anymore.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg