/dist/images/branding/favicon

Issue with most recent batch of Radians sold after Nov 22nd

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Tabb Firchau, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Guys, an issue with the most recent batch of Radians has come to light. These Radians will go into bootloader mode around 5 to 10% of the time on startup.

If you purchased your Radian between Nov.22nd and Dec. 3rd and it is going into bootloader mode when it should not, Freefly will replace the faulty unit.

There is a fix for those of you who are unable to send them back due to upcoming jobs etc. If you install a jumper on port 6 from the signal to ground pin (picture coming in a few minutes) it will prevent the issue. Additionally, if you do get a false bootloader startup, you can re-cycle power to fix the issue.

Sorry for the inconvenience and we will do our best to get this taken care of as quickly as possible.

If you do have a bad unit, please contact the distributor you purchased from and they will advise you on the next step.

Thanks

Tabb

2. John Cunningham

Just to clarify what Tabb says, there is nothing wrong with the Radian modules at all : it is just something with the bootloader software where it incorrectly detects an entry into the bootloader on power-up about 5% of the time.

If you put a simple link in Port 6 of the module (signal to Gnd like a Spektrum bind plug) it will fix the problem 100%.

Unfortunately the bootloader is well protected to avoid the possibility of 'bricking' a module during an update so it can't be fixed with a firmware update.

3. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Here is an image showing how to use a jumper to avoid the issue until you can get a replacement.
    Radian_Jumper-2.jpeg

4. Jeremy Muir

Jeremy Muir New Member

Hey Tabb / John

I've just finished installing three Radians from the latest batch, none of them have gone into boot loader yet on power up, will they?

Is it an isolated few that are affected or whole batch? Ie will it eventually effect all of them.

On I side note do the latest Radians get shipped with the most current firmware? I have not checked yet due to laziness

Cheers

Jeremy

5. John Cunningham

It depends on the individual cpu in the Radian : some will do it more than others. I had one do it 8 times in 100 power ups and another 3. You know if it has done it because the green and orange led's light solid immediately after applying power instead of flashing during the normal initialisation and the stabilisation does not go active.

The unsold modules have been recalled and all new ones will have the bootloader fixed for this problem. It only affects the latest batch which were sent out around Nov 22nd.

All Radians are programmed with the latest firmware just before they are sent out to the distributors. The latest version is 1.03 - but Tabb will need to confirm if this is what was programmed (I suspect it was).

6. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Hello Jeremy,

If you did not receive an email from Quadrocopter then your Radian were from a different batch and should be good to go!

Greetings,
    Adam

7. Jeremy Muir

Jeremy Muir New Member

Hi Adam

thanks for the reply was going to email Quadrocopters today but looks like I am all good.

Cheers

Jeremy

John on a side note I checked all the Radians and they where shipped with the old firmware, but have been updated now and working fine!

8. Travis Buchmann

Travis Buchmann New Member

Both mine have the issue, will replace when I see QC over the holidays in MT. :)