/dist/images/branding/favicon

Horizon is always off not matter what we try

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Daniel De Silva, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Daniel De Silva

Daniel De Silva New Member

Hi everyone,

I have just logged a support ticket with freefly. But we are desperate for help as we have a shoot in 16 hours that requires movi as an integral part of the shoot.

We only noticed this happen on our last shoot and put it down to an environmental factor like big metal beams and shooting indoors. But we can seem to fix this issue no matter what we have tried.

We have tried the following:

Loaded default settings via terminal on the ios app.
    Rolled back to previous firmware, we are on current beta in this video
    Turn heading assist to each mode, OFF, Fixed Mount, Compass, GPS etc
    Checked all motor stiffness settings - all look normal (high enough)
    Autotune in various % 50 - 70
    Confirmed satellite communication
    Tired multiple cameras
    Checked every screw on the movi for the possibility it is loose
    Calibrated successfully more than 5 times in completely different states

We are out of options!

Any other things we could try? Anyone else have this issue??

Please and thank you!

Daniel
    Cloakroom Media

2. Kurt Wallrath

Kurt Wallrath Member

Hey Daniel,

Did you try trimming your roll axis until its level? Go to Configurations > General > under "Trim" you'll see "Roll" on the left. See if that does anything for you. If that doesn't work then try resetting the MoVI by going to Monitor > Charts then you'll see an option to reset the MoVI. Good luck!

3. Kurt Wallrath

Kurt Wallrath Member

4. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Just want to confirm you're in Handheld mode and not Airborne. What did Freefly Support suggest?

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Daniel:
    Are you using a remote controller capable of operating the roll axis and is it powered on during these tests?

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

6. Daniel De Silva

Hi everyone,

Yes the MoVI is in Handheld Mode.

We did trim the horizon either way with no benefit - the horizon will only become accurate when pointing in one specific direction, when you pan (either way) the roll changes position.

And the we used both mimic and gamepad modes with the same results when activated (both modes control roll).

Turns out it has to go back to FF for a check up. Could be corrupt or missing GPS data, but don't know for sure.

It's a bummer, because it was mostly flawless leading up to this problem, but did notice it become worse over 2-3 of its last jobs (I put the roll issue down to environmental factors at the time). Then it was unusable as the video demonstrates.

Will keep you posted on the result once it comes back.

7. Graham Futerfas

Thanks Daniel, please keep us posted about the result. Sorry it has to go back to Freefly, but I'm always interested in troubleshooting these things and learning about them.

8. Daniel De Silva

Got a reply today, it has been resolved under warranty.

Issue was isolated to a faulty 'Puck', I have no idea what that is or means.
    • MOVI WAS DIAGNOSED WITH A BAD PUCK
    • PUCK WAS REPLACED AND THE MOVI CALIBRATED
    • LOGIC BOARD REWORK WAS ALSO COMPLETED
    • All repair services include cleaning, calibration and loading of the latest firmware.
    I will wait to receive it and test for myself to confirm its 100%, its been 24 days with out a MoVI, and probably 2 weeks of that at Freefly in repair, all up at least a month from when I sent it away to when I receive it again! If you live outside of the US and don't have a spare movi on hand, think about what 30 days without it in your business will do! It's cost me $2500 in MoVI Rentals so far. Consider buying another for redundancy.

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  9. Graham Futerfas

Thanks for following up, Daniel. That's good advice about having a backup. I've kept my M15 as a backup, just in case something goes wrong with the Movi Pro that requires service.

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm not 100% certain about the inner architecture of the MoVI electronics, but typically the word "puck" would apply to the sensor packages that are the accelerometers and solid-state gyroscopes on the Tilt Stage Unit (TSU).

I've only very occasionally seen those fail (in one case where, ahem, the "operator" :rolleyes: dropped it on to a concrete floor) -- and of course, in this one case you have Daniel. Oh....and I should clarify -- this was not a Freefly puck that I trashed -- it was for another copter and different sensor package.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert