/dist/images/branding/favicon

Herkules III Install & Setup Tips

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by MIke Magee, Dec 22, 2014.

1. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Over the Holidays I'm building a new X8 with the 4215's and MK 2.5 using the Herkules III.

The Herk manual seems good. However, if you know of any contacts, videos walking through install and config tips, forums, magic incantations, etc. Even simple things like steps to program, attaching the spark arrest, testing and debug of the Herk, etc...

I think it would be helpful, and I'll be sure to share anything that I learn here. I suspect that until the BL3 stabilizes, or is absolved, there will be a few of us here trying this path.

Even the smallest tip or suggestion from experienced folks could help others immensely.

Also, we wish everyone in this great community a happy holiday of your choice and a very healthy, prosperous and crash free 2015.

-m & l

Steve Maller likes this.
  2. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Here is quote relating to motor timing settings from Ozkan.

3. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Now, a heartfelt question.

I was under the impression that the Herk III board was "Plug and Play" with the MK stack. OK. Probably.

HOWEVER, has ANYONE mounted this thing onto the top plate of a Freefly CS8 setup? I've patiently tried every orientation of the board but see NO WAY to get the mounting holes to align with the ones on the CS8 Top Plate.

Suggestions welcome. Has anyone run this on the stock CS8 Plate?

Thanks, m

4. Cam Batten

Cam Batten Member

Hi Mike,

I'm on a skyjib platform, but I created a CAD schematic for the drill holes (you can find dimensions on the herk III wiki) and just drilled the mount out myself so that all the MK stuff points the correct direction. You do want to flash to ADV24 as Ozkan mentions, and then create a custom motor mix table in the MK tools, as per the herk III manual. After that, you're all set.

Cheers,

Cam

MIke Magee likes this.
  5. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Thanks Cam. The mix is easy - I've done an X8 before. The ADV24 is something that needs to be done for sure.

BUT, the Cinestar top plate is sparse and punching holes in it might be an issue or just impossible. I'd like to hear what other CInestar / Herk users have done. I'll have to make a temporary plate somehow to keep this build moving, but I'm hoping to hear from someone that's done it.

THANKS again Cam.

6. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Mike,

I use Cinestar 8. The mounting pattern of Herkules III is the same with MK FC. So, you will mount Herkules III with the same holes you mount FC.

Only thing, you need to change the stock screw&nut set with different type of spacers and screws. It has been a long time for me since I installed the Herkules. I will check and let you know.

7. Bo Tornvig

Bo Tornvig Member

I cut out a 2 mm aluminum plate to get the right orientation - I'll post a photo later, when I'm back from X-Mas holiday.
    Just received the humongous KDE 5215XF-435KV motors... What mount plate do you guys use for those bastards?

8. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

I had someone to draw custom plates to fit 5215XF motors on Cinestar's 25mm boom.

9. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Bo, AFA the mounts, I'm going to try these. I had the 4014''s mounted on these from FH: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...t-A-with-plastic-clamps/109347_965212225.html. These are VERY rugged. They have uniform mounting holes that provide an 8-screw attachment to the motor. I extended the hole to give the shaft lock some breathing room using a Dremel.

The main difference between the 4215's and the 4014's ( from a mounting perspective) is that the bottom shaft lock is 12mm vs 8mm.

I have extended the hole a bit more for the 12mm base on an old test mount. I'll let you know if it works.

-m

mount comparison.JPG

10. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

Steve Maller likes this.
  11. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Mike, is the opening 14+mm for the motor bottom shaft lock? Do you have one to measure?

tx,m

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Mike: I caliper that central hole as 13.97 or so -- 14mm for gub'mint work. And yes, it seems to be for the motor shaft/C-clip etc.

Andy

MIke Magee likes this.
  13. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

I can send drawings for 5215XF series for those who are interested. Just PM me. It can also be used for 4215XF and 4014XF series.

The drawings are for 25mm booms.

14. Michael McVay

I have 4215s mounted on them already, and the bottom hole is just barely large enough. Ideally this hole would be larger to make sure there was never any friction between the motor and the mount. I have used others this way without making the hole larger, but am considering the option of increasing this hole size.

15. Michael McVay

I'm guessing that something like this would be easy enough to make that hole larger.

Screen Shot 2014-12-27 at 11.02.07 AM.png

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I would fret that using that reamer on carbon fiber might result in a very ragged, fibrous edge -- carbon fiber can be quite uncooperative. Has anyone actually used such a tool on CF, please?

Andy.

17. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

All, to enlarge the hole displayed in the shots above, I used a carbide cutting tool on the dremmel (http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessories/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=9902). There were no frays and the edge was smooth. It took me about 3 minutes. I ended up about 15-16mm.

I would suspect that the tool Mike is going to try my tear up the carbon a bit, but it wouldn't hurt trying it on a spare, or on one of the Chinestar parts he's replaced. I'm going to mount a few and strees test them. I may up getting a set from QC too.

-m

18. Bo Tornvig

Bo Tornvig Member

As promised - here is a shot of the alu-plate:

Attached Files:

19. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Does anyone know how to pull 12V from the Herk to power lights or other stuff?

tx,

Coming along!

20. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Mike, It doesn't provide 12V. You need a separate BEC for this.