/dist/images/branding/favicon

Have the sUAV Patent Wars started?

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Andy Johnson-Laird, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

See story at http://www.suasnews.com/2016/04/42799/ : DJI sues Yuneeq.

Andy
    ----------
    Forensic Software & sUAV, sRPA, Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA) : Trees = 2, Ground = 1 Props = 11. :(

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I'm curious to see how clearly non-US-developed intellectual property can be litigated in the US judicial system.
    And I'll refrain from gratuitous accusations about the cavalier attitude the Chinese have about intellectual property in general.
    Oops. I failed to restrain myself.
    Shame on me.
    :rolleyes:

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Bearing in mind I'm not an attorney and I don't intend to play one on the Internet, I suspect it does not matter where the invention was created -- the mere fact that the U.S. Patent and Trademark office issued the patent is all that counts and the patentee (in this case DJI), has exclusive rights to make, use, offer for sale, and sell, devices containing the patented invention.

In my experience, many countries who are not exporting intellectual property have tended to be somewhat cavalier in the past, but when they become the owners, patentees, etc. of intellectual property, then their attitude changes. In the early days of the U.S.A. circa 1850, book publishers got books from Europe and republished them in the U.S.A. without paying royalties thus exhibiting a "certain cavalier attitude about intellectual property in general." This was even though the Statute of Anne in 1710 had sown the seeds of modern copyright law in the UK, so our buds the Puritans were not quite so pure. See http://www.cybercollege.com/frtv/book2.htm

Thus, I wouldn't get too accusatorial, Mr. Maller.... :)
    Andy
    ----------
    Forensic Software & sUAV, sRPA, Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA) : Trees = 2, Ground = 1 Props = 11. :(

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I stand down and yield to the always professorial Mr. Johnson-Laird, and as usual, hang my head in shame. :oops:

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Don't worry, Steve. You've forgotten more than I'll ever know about photography. :)
    We each have our specialties -- just happens that being a testifying forensic expert in patent cases is one of mine. (But you should see how I land fixed wing sUAV....^......^..... ^..... (where ^ is a bounce)) :eek:

Andy.
    ----------

6. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

In general, it's hard to argue with Andy. Don't feel too bad Steve.

-m

Steve Maller likes this.