/dist/images/branding/favicon

Extending Movi Controller range

Discussion in 'MōVI Controller' started by Andrew Griffiths, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

Wait till you add a WEDGE to the mix - then you'll really have hair to pull out! :)

Often you can't bind to it indoors - no kidding. When we can't bind, we take the units outside and BINGO, binds. Once bound, careful not to have any video transmission system near the WEDGE or you'll knock out the signal - I've seen this happen dozens of times.

2. Paul Christopher Greene

Thank you Derek...GAH...submitted a support ticket and am waiting to hear back.

3. Derek Cooper

What are you asking in your ticket?

4. Paul Christopher Greene

Is there ANY reliable long range solution available! I'm under the impression that the Mimic and Wedge both have similar radios and range so looking at going back to Spectrum 7 or entertaining Lightbridge, Connex or really anything else that might work reliably. Losing camera control is a deal breaker...every other system we have is 100% reliable :-/

Thanks!

5. Derek Cooper

Keep us posted, but don't get frustrated.

I talked to Amimon and suggested they talk to FF about Connex integration some time back, but FF didn't express an interest. The Connex transmission distance is phenomenal - would be great to see them piggy back the Movi Controller through the Connex system into the Movis without doubt.

In the interim, we are using a Sunhaus system to extend the range on our Movi system - it is doing the job. But we can't use it when doing proximity work - WEDGE gives up the ghost when using the Sunhaus. Better-off with the original Movi antenna on the Controller.

I posted details on our Sunhaus setup somewhere in this forum - reply if you can't find it.

6. Paul Christopher Greene

Thanks again Derek. It's tough not to get frustrated but I hear ya lol. We're also using Sunhaus but on yesterdays flight, we weren't able to maintain camera control reliably. Do you happen to know if the Spectrum 7 TX has greater range when controlling MoVI?

Thanks again mate...

7. Derek Cooper

Yup!

What are you using for setup now? Maybe some pretty pics? At what distance were you losing control?

You know, we never tried a traditional RC radio to control the Movis - lacks so much functionality when it comes to controlling the Movis, especially when you include the WEDGE which we fly on all our flights.

I must admit though, every outing is a stressful one as we're always thinking "Hmmm... are we going to drop connections on this flight?" Why they can't communicate reliably really baffles me too - our Jeti radios can transmit such long distances to our drones and NEVER EVER lose connection. Why is it so hard for the Movis and WEDGEs to communicate reliably? I'm no radio engineer, but it makes little sense to me. Even our Amimon Connex units are incredibly reliable - very very rare to lose communication of an HD (think busy) transmission. The Movi just needs tiny commands.

Our Movi Controllers look a bit like a Franken-Controllers now! LOL

#127 Derek Cooper, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  8. Paul Christopher Greene

YEAH THIS man...we have a $100K drone / camera package grounded until this is solved. We just did a Spectrum 7 test today and got just over 1000 feet so am guessing we're back to using joysticks (so ironic as there's so little joy in using them). It's like, yeah we sold you this amazing car that goes 200mph but the steering wheel rarely works hahah.

Alec Caton likes this.
  9. Stefan Helborg

I use MoVI Controller, Wedge, iris motor and Mimic at 700 meters without any problem thanks to a 4w wifi booster :)
    For downlink I use the Connex.

Derek Cooper likes this.
  10. Paul Christopher Greene

Great thank you...Which 4w booster are you using?

Derek Cooper likes this.
  11. Paul Christopher Greene

And are you piping movi control through connex? (guessing not). Thanks again!

12. Derek Cooper

Movi Controller doesn't support Connex - wish it did cause then this problem would be resolved.

13. Paul Christopher Greene

Thanks again Derek. I sincerely hope it's coming *soon* or FF reveals their own long range wireless video solution which may well be holding up the works as Synapse did for so many years.

14. Stefan Helborg

15. Mark Hoffman

Mark Hoffman Active Member

Stefan

What are you using for RC control with the Alta? I see your tag states 14SG but just wanted to double check that the 4watt booster doesn't cause interference with 2.4ghz RC control.

16. Derek Cooper

17. Stefan Helborg

Yes I use the Futaba 14SG. I have not experienced any interference.

Yes it's the stock antenna on the Wedge.

Attached Files:

18. Paul Christopher Greene

Thank you...so you;re using the Futaba RX and connecting with Wedge with 3db antenna?

19. Stefan Helborg

Yes two Futaba RX on the ALTA, and the stock Wedge antenna on the Wedge.

On the wifi booster I use the small stock MoVI controller antenna.

20. Derek Cooper

That is pretty freaky Stefan - surprised you are getting amazing results. You lucky dog! And you even tucked your booster in under the Connex AND the monitor. Wow.

Do you find you are able to maintain connection to the WEDGE on short distances? i.e., 6' or less? We've found that when using the booster, the WEDGE goes bye-bye often when close to the TX. So if we change up from aerials on a drone to handheld, we have to by-pass the booster and just go with the stock antenna plugged directly into the Movi Controller.