/dist/images/branding/favicon

Does anyone have a 14SG / R7008SB model file for the M10?

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Mike Zintel, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Mike Zintel

Mike Zintel Member

And maybe a wiring diagram.

I bought the QC 6/free M10 combo. QC config'd the Alta nicely (thanks), but the M10 seems rather virgin.

I got Andy's rather excellent guide but it seems Alta focused. MoVI not so much.

I'm currently stuck in 3 blinking greens / no bluetooth, but assuming I can get past that (checking those cables again and again and reading more forums I am).

How do i wire and config this remote? Many forum topics seem so close.

Thanks.

Mike.

2. Mike Reid

Mike Reid Member

The 3 blinking lights just means that it didn't boot up properly, its usually due to movement when booting. Be sure that you have a good balance and turn it on while it is completely still.

Configuring the 14SG is pretty easy. Once you get the Bluetooth to connect (remember no Bluetooth connection with iPhones, only android and mac) go to the dual op settings and look at that screen while you configure. Some people set up differently, pan and tilt on the same stick, some go different sticks. You can PM me if you need any help.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Mike:
    Yeah, sorry about the focus in the Guide on the ALTA -- that seemed to be where folks were having the most trouble...
    Thanks for the donation too! Very kind of you!

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

4. Mike Zintel

Mike Zintel Member

Great writing, per usual. The Futaba manual is a massively easier read than the Graupner. But still incomprehensible in that way that all this RC stuff is.

I think from what I read if I can get the MoVI to boot then maybe I can do all config from the app. Failing that I’ll slog through the transmitter menus. I guess the 14SG is overkill for second operator – in fact what I wanted was only tilt on the main transmitter but QC upsold me to this. I see on the forums a few other wanted this too but it looks like it’s a choice between receiver diversity and tilt.

Support has a few ideas on the no boot I will try.

I am still missing one simple thing: This thing (MoVI M10) shipped with a short cable hanging from the port where the “jumper” goes for firmware updates. I think. Still no diagram. It has connector on the end (i.e. it’s not the jumper cable). What’s that for? Is that the cable I use to wire receiver to the er, computer-y box with SBUS, Spectrum and I think firmware jumper connectors?

Thanks.

I'm working on this year's fireworks video. I'm getting the hang of it.

Mike.

Don’t know how may protocols I’m breaking here but if I can safely say that RC is more expensive, more painful and harder than underwater, which is an accomplishment extraordinaire. Impossible without this forum:

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks for the compliment, Mike.
    Yeah, the Futaba alleged "documentation" is "better" than the Graupner, but much is still lost in translation -- and by the presumption that you've been working with RC since you were five years old.

But, to your specific issue, unless I'm badly mistaken, the receiver will not cause the MoVI to fail to boot -- that sounds like a systemic problem in the gimbal control unit. To test my theory, I disconnected the receiver on my M5 entirely (no receiver at all!) -- and the gimbal controller boots up fine. Thus I think we can infer that the it's not the receiver causing a problem, but something inherent in the gimbal controller.

The dangling cable is for connection to a Spektrum satellite receiver -- that is the small "backup" receiver that coexists with the main receiver -- it doesn't receive signals from satellites -- it's called the satellite receiver only so that people who've worked with RC since they were five can nod knowingly and the rest of us can be confused. (The idea of the two receivers being that it provides "spatial diversity" -- the transmitter signal is unlikely to be occluded by anything that affects the main and the satellite receiver simultaneously.)

I infer that you've already emailed to support@freeflysystems.com and have opened a ticket on this? My money's on either (a) a loose cable somewhere or (b) (and less likely) that there's a problem with the gimbal control unit. But what do I know? I'm just a porgammer, no...pergramer no...I just code. :)

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

6. Mike Zintel

Mike Zintel Member

I'm rolling forward now, again thanks to the forum. The genius of this design is that you learn to debug this early: blinking green means all connectors need to be very tight, not just most of them fairly tight. After boot, next I went through the toad in the hole rotation issue. Now I'm working on "this doesn't have any bluetooth". She's a very neat stabilizer. Can't imagine crashing this.

Thanks.

Mike.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hey Mike:
    Did you find a model file for the Futaba and M10? Or did you just build one de novo?

Andy

8. Mike Zintel

Mike Zintel Member

I'm not there yet. I think I've learned that I'll wire up SBUS, not S.BUS2, that the MoVI supplies power to the receiver, I'll bind and select mode B.

There's an old thread that says the R7008SB isn't compatible with the MoVI due to something about FASST Vs. FASSTest. I can't confirm until I order a Futaba cable. I'll let you know if and when I am successful.

9. Mike Zintel

Mike Zintel Member

Well, I'm still slogging through this. Andy's humor wrt to the Futaba UX and documentation is keeping me, so far, from talking the elevator up to the top floor and just heaving this stuff off and/or myself too. I am developing a new appreciation for the simplicity, clarity and well real beauty of Graupner and their 750 page manuals.

Anyway, the wifi from my Pixel C tablet and the MoVI 10 connects (and works, for a wee time), disconnects, connects, disconnects ...

Any ideas how to debug this?

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Mike: Glad to hear that I'm stopping you chucking Futaba kit over the side (at least for the time being).

I'm not quite sure what would cause that connect/disconnect cycle -- is there a chance that you could try the experiment in a place where the 2.4 Ghz band might not be sizzling with other Wifi signals, microwave ovens, florescent lights etc. etc. There's just a chance that it's interference and lack of free channels, so it's worth a quick experiment.

I think the MoVI uses 2.4 Ghz not 5 Ghz just in case that should be relevant.

Andy

ForensicSoftware & sUAV / Drone Analyst : PhOtoGraphEr : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™

11. Mike Zintel

Mike Zintel Member

I don't think it's the radio link. I had the MoVI connected via Wifi to Android tablet. The MoVI booted into magestic mode. I was able to play with the tuning. It was neat and scary.

Then I decided to try to connect this overkill14SG/R7008SB so I could do the only thing I want - tilt the MoVI while on the drone.

I went through the binding procedure, and everything seemed to work. Indeed I'm getting battery voltage telemetry from the M10. But the final light color on the receiver is red not green.

None of the TX controls worked. Which is expected, since the default is Spectrum. I flamed up the app to remap to Futaba and now I'm in a connect / disconnect loop. Even with the R7008SB disconnected and all Tx off.

When the wifi connects, it's very "solid". It downloads state and then disconnects. Like it got booted off.

12. Mike Zintel

Mike Zintel Member

13. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

And it works just as well after the tuneup as it did before. Being an old guy I remember the TV commercials for Timex. "Takes a licking and keeps on ticking!"

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Mike:
    Hmm. That is PFW. Plain Weird....
    As you posted, perhaps it's time for the "adjustments" shown in the video. It will not fix anything but you'll feel so much better.... :rolleyes:

Andy

15. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

Hey guys. If you are getting a solid red light on the receiver instead of a green one you 14Sg and the 7008SB are not properly bound to each other. Do you have a way to power the receiver without connecting it to the Movi so you can do the 14SG and 7008SB binding without any Movi connection?

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Good idea, Michael. That red light on the Rx has been nagging away at me....what's causing it?
    Andy.

The Ground Is The Limit™

17. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

The solid red light indicates it is not bound the the radio. If he could power the receiver with a standalone ESC or something he could make the bind without the movi connection. If he gets a green light after binding then we know the tx and rx are bound and I think he will be able to control the movi (but might need to map channels).

18. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

We have a model preset for the MōVI, for the 14SG. It won't let me upload it here, but anyone can contact support@freeflysystems.com and ask for me, and I can give it to you.

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Just for the record, files of the following types can be uploaded:

zip
    txt
    pdf
    png
    jpg
    jpeg
    jpe
    gif
    gpx
    cfg
    mkp
    spm
    csv

Note that the forum software does not check that the file really has the contents consistent with the file type, so you can rename fred.foo to be fred.zip and upload it. Anyone who downloads it will need to know that they have to change fred.zip back to fred.foo, of course.

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

20. Mike Zintel

Mike Zintel Member

Bryan, please post it, somehow. Being an early adopter like the rest of us, I'm willing to learn the whole "Futaba thing", after (sort of) learning the "Spectrum thing" and then the "Graupner thing", but dang I so don't want to. There's just so much crap one person can stuff in their head.

I think I live about 2 miles from Freefly. I'll walk there, if need be.

I'm pretty sure that the wifi connect problem started exactly with what I now think (er, you folks think) is a failed bind. I'm going to try rebinding while connected to the MoVi as a power source before I break out the bench supply and soldering iron.

I'm also going to try wifi connect from my MacBook rather than the Google Pixel tablet piece to try and eliminate a bad droid from the equation.

One super weird thing is that I am receiving telemetry from the MoVi in the app (before wifi drops). I thought that meant I was bound.

Thanks again folks. Much appreciated.