/dist/images/branding/favicon

Do you have an issue with Pan Drift when using the Mimic Pro?

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Kurt Wallrath, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Kurt Wallrath

Kurt Wallrath Member

Hey gents,

Ive been communicating with Chris in tech support regarding an issue I've been having with the Mimic Pro and want to see if anyone else would like to see pan drift eliminated when using the Movi Pro and Mimic Pro together.

To further elaborate, I like being able to set up the Mimic pro (or Movi controller in Mimic mode) on a tripod so I can operate the Movi on a stand like its a camera on a tripod. I have also done this setup on a jib and it works great. This a great time saver, especially since you're not having to take the camera off the Movi and rebuild it for a tripod. However, for locked shots, or shots you're trying to "land" (either panning or/and tilting into a locked/static shot) the Movi will start to drift in the pan axis. Obviously, having an unwanted pan drift isn't desirable.

Chris said I'm the only person who has an issue with it so it isn't a priority to fix unless more Movi operators/techs have issues with it. Please reply to this thread with a "+1" if you'd like to see pan drift eliminated from the Movi Pro.

Thanks,

-Kurt

Sergi Medina, DanDunn and Chris Olson like this.
  2. dan mohr

dan mohr New Member

totally.

movi needs a "lockdown" (no drift) mode

3. Kurt Wallrath

Kurt Wallrath Member

My apologies to Chris as I misquoted him. He didn't say "I'm the only person who has an issue with it so it isn't a priority to fix unless more Movi operators/techs have issues with it." To paraphrase, he said if more people want a feature that prevents a stationary MoVI in Mimic mode from pan-drifting, it Could be something they look into.

Aaron Marquette likes this.
  4. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

You can reduce the drift with the Mimic by booting the Movi and the Mimic while they're as perfectly still as possible while they initialize. It still drifts though, and I haven't been able to stop it completely.

It can be annoying after a while, especially if you're trying to hold frame between setups or while directors\lighting\art dept. are looking at the shot for many minutes between takes.

5. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

You can also try setting the heading assist for both units (MōVI and MIMIC) to "Fixed" both units. Our Pro and MIMIC have been running in the office without being touched, for several hours with less than an 1/8" of pan movement.

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  6. Graham Futerfas

Hi Bryan, I just did that as a test, and set both Movi Pro and Mimic to Fixed Mount. Used the app on my phone to change them both over.

It didn't work very well at all. I can only pan for a little bit before the Movi starts drifting back to its center Majestic position. No matter if I pan left or right, it will start drifting back very quickly.

Am I missing something? I'm attaching a video below to show my setup. I put the Movi on both a dock and on a c-stand with the Toad on a Stick and it didn't work.

When I turn Heading Assist off again, it works much better, and I can pan all I want.

Thanks!

Kurt Wallrath and Chris Olson like this.
  7. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

Setting the heading assist to fixed on the MIMIC will only work for locked off shots. This setting changes the MōVI references its sensors during movement. If you are moving the MIMIC, the heading assist needs to be in one of the active modes (off, compass or GPS) for it to work properly.

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  8. Dale McCready

Dale McCready Member

I had a lot of drift but defintely making sure the Mimic was still when booted up worked. Moves very nicely and now I know where the modes are for Level Roll, Majestic etc I think it's terrific. Nice work. Looking forward to the PS4 controller arriving to have a play with.

Aaron Marquette likes this.
  9. Aaron Marquette

Possibly separate issue but, does the MIMIC use a different center marker than Majestic Mode? My DP was excited to use the MIMIC for his 1st time on a shoot so I tested at prep and on-the-day beforehand and everything seemed ok.

But when the shot came up, I the MIMIC booted then drastically panned the camera 90° into the ring. Then the motors would vibrate. I rebalanced, checked trim settings, made sure TITH was facing forward but every time we linked, the gimbal quickly panned into the ring because it was a long build. I didn't have time to switch to handlebars to test a greater pan area. What did I do wrong?

10. Graham Futerfas

Hi Aaron, this issue was fixed in the Beta Firmware that came out last week. The Mimic will now switch modes and keep the Pan where it is in Majestic Mode when you go to Mimic control.

11. Ivan Robles Mendoza

Ivan Robles Mendoza New Member

I have again issues with drifting and also with binding :(. No channel from 1 to 13 is working, didnt had any time to test more channels. Mimic status is error and today wasn't posible to shoot with it. We had to stick to majestic mode. New firmware didn't help a lot. Actually after the new firmware was installed, we lost totally the binding. Any ideas? Freefly staff what should i check?

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Ivan: Freefly folks do read the forum, but it sounds like you need to open up a support ticket by sending an email to Freefly Support (support@freeflysystems.com).

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

13. Ivan Robles Mendoza

Ivan Robles Mendoza New Member

Hey Andy,
    Hey Andy
    Thanks for your reply, I've opened a support ticket up. I am going to do some tests today again. I will revert the firmware cause at least the last one was binding.

I have a new job with the gimbal next week. I really need urgently help.

14. Deniz Ozgoren

Deniz Ozgoren Support Mage
    Staff Member

15. Ryan Forte

Ryan Forte Member

+1 struggling with similar issues. Never eliminated drift with the Mimic. Personally I don't think the Mimic is a reliable controller for the movi.

I did get good results with the movi controller and switching heading Assist to fixed mount.

16. Graham Futerfas

I've never found a Heading Assist setting that stopped the drifting with the Mimic, and I've tried them all. I should say, I do like the Mimic, but I haven't had as many of the problems some people have had, like the constant shaking and not waking up without taking it apart and resetting the battery cable.

It can be a very intuitive controller for complicated moves, but I also use geared wheels, which are convenient because you can really reduce the drift and you don't need to turn your body all around during a big move. I'm not great with the wheels though, and the Mimic can really save you in a pinch.

The battery dies on the Mimic after a week of sitting in the case, but I can revive it via charging. I think there's a 'Travel Mode' but I forget how to engage it.

17. Deniz Ozgoren

Staff Member

Did you try Compass on MIMIC? I think thats the only viable option. For GPS, you need to triangulate by being outside and taking MIMIC through some distance. Fixed Mount is not an option for MIMIC and will get removed from the list.

18. Graham Futerfas

Wait, do you mean set Heading Assist on the *MIMIC* to Compass? Or set it to Compass on the Movi Pro?

If I put the Mimic to Compass, then it doesn't operate well at all. It drifts back, doesn't track the Mimic.... I can make a video. I just set the Movi up to test this again since you mentioned it. Tell me what settings you'd like me to try and I'll do it.

Thanks Deniz.

19. Deniz Ozgoren

Staff Member

Both needs some heading assist to eliminate drift over longer periods of time. I explained why drift exists and options for Pro on different threads. For MIMIC, only really usable option is Compass.

Sounds like there maybe a bug with MIMIC? I appreciate if you can post more details about that.

Also I don't add any heading assist most of the time. Drift is not noticeable if your shot doesn't take many minutes. Only becomes an issue for more specific things like timelapse.. I wonder why people complain.. Curious about their use cases..

20. Deniz Ozgoren

Staff Member

In some firmware updates, binding might be reset, depending on what feature is added. You can just rebind.

No channel from 1 to 13 is working
    • Channels don't have meaning in frequency spektrum. They are just digital numbers. If one channel doesn't work, then probably none of the others work. Also channel 0 is OFF.

You should contact customer support if you are having error status.