/dist/images/branding/favicon

Crazy start up.

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by John O'Regan, Apr 8, 2015.

1. John O'Regan

John O'Regan New Member

Hi I'm wondering if anybody can help me, the problem I'm encountering is, on start up i get the normal three green lights, then the camera stabilises, then goes into crazy more, literally wiped out two lenses from the table, high speed rotations and 45 degree turns, the toad I'm using is tight and i don't think is the problem, any suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.

2. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

please post a video

John O'Regan likes this.
  3. John O'Regan

John O'Regan New Member

I was just in the process of shooting a video, when i though id give it a last go, unfortunately one broken GH4 camera and a trip to the accident and emergency for a broken finger, in all my years working in helicopters and film production, I've never seen something spin so fast, it should have a health warning attached to this thing, unreal, straight in the bin tomorrow.

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

John there's a good chance that when you put the handles on the toad was not aligned pointing forward. There is a 'forward' on the hole that is on the gimbal. If the hole is not aligned with the 'front' of the gimbal then when it powers up the gimbal will spin to align itself pointing to 'front'. Does it pretty quickly. Have someone hold the handles, not in the stand, and power up. Once it settles down mark the 'front' of the hole with a metallic marker.

5. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Did you boot it up in level shooting position? Initializing in extreme positions can sometimes confuse the IMU, I believe.

6. John O'Regan

John O'Regan New Member

Hi Gary
    Thank you for replying, so the hole may not aligned with the 'front' of the gimbal, how many times would it rotate, because this was not going to stop, also it dropped at a 45 degree angle, thats what caught me out, i held the handles, but couldn't switch it off, because it was rotating so fast, it was all balanced nicely, and when i switched it on, i got 3 green lights, then the initial tension, then the crazy stuff, ill try and do a video, over the weekend.

7. John O'Regan

John O'Regan New Member

Hi Brad, it was all perfectly level indoors.

Thank you

8. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

It should only spin until it 'finds' the front. Worst case would be not having any resistance on the hole. Example would be when the MoVI is being used with a multi rotor. The gimbal is sitting on the ground support legs. Unless in the kill mode, when you turn it on the flight deck portion will spin since there is no resistance.

And Brad's point is also very valid. Try to have it close to normal position in the stand when you power up.

9. Brian Walls

Brian Walls New Member

In case anyone else has this issue... the same thing happened to me on the M15 last week. It had been working fine... Then it just went psycho one day. The problem was that I had accidentally mounted the camera backwards in the cage and had the rear horizontal bar (with the freely logo on it) facing upside down when I booted up. The violent spinning is truly demonic and could easily cause some major damage or injury no doubt . Luckily neither the camera and lens nor myself were harmed.

The movi has not worked correctly ever since that episode however. The tilt axis cable got so twisted that it had pulled out of the control unit. Took me a while to figure that out. Then, when I plugged the cable back in, I put the cable in upside down (incorrectly assuming it would only go in one way). I eventually found a tech note explaining that the side of the cable connector with the exposed metal contacts needs to be facing DOWN towards the cage.

So I now have everything plugged in correctly (I think), but there is still something wrong with my system.

The movi is totally unpredictable at this point. If I can get it to boot, it makes sudden random rotations and then sort of locks to these random angles. when i try to move the position of the camera it will fight me for a second, then rotate and snap to some other random angle, or all of the green lights will start flashing, or they just go dark. The unit hangs when i try to run an auto-tune, and sometimes on boot only the first 2 green lights will come on and then it just stays like that.

I am thinking that there might be a short in one or more of my cables. I wish I could find a simple explanation of the overall system and how it functions. A wiring diagram and a step by step troubleshooting flow chart in the documentation would be extremely helpful!

I am opening a customer support ticket now, but I suspect the next step is to replace the motor cables.

#9 Brian Walls, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016