/dist/images/branding/favicon

Controller 2-pin lemo pins reversed?

Discussion in 'MōVI Controller' started by Derek Cooper, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

Hey,

So my Paralinx 2-pin lemo to 2-pin lemo cable has arrived, and I've discovered the Paralinx believes the top pin is ground, but Freefly's Controller says the top pin is positive. They both claim the same Lemo spec.

We are about to cut our $80 cable to reverse the polarity, and can't help but wonder who is right and why the difference?

Derek

2. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

There is no standard in this regard, actually. For example, the Teradek is the opposite of the Redrock Basestation. I have no idea why it is this way, but it has been a cause of issue for many.

3. Derek Cooper

That's a bit whacked. I guess we'll cut this cable to reverse things.

4. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

There is a standard.

The Arri standard (and every manufacturer and rental house that has been in business for a significant time).

Then there is the so called badly named 'american standard' which, apart from being a misleading name, is the reverse polarity to the Arri standard.

Arri, Teradek, Paralinx and countless others have the correct standard. The new comers have got it backwards. Lot's of rental houses and owners all over the world are trying to get things back to the Arri standard.

Rather than change all your cables (which is a hassle, and a cost and potentially dangerous), just get the polarity changed on your MoVI Controller. (Use a technician, and do it properly...) It's simple and you and all of your assistants will thank you for it.

I hate it when newcomer manufacturers try to change and improve on standards that have been around since before they existed. It just costs time and money for no added gain.

Carlos Filipe and Eric De Fino like this.
  5. Derek Cooper

Ok, thanks Ben. I'll get my tech to open up our Controller tomorrow and see if we can't make things right. Appreciate it, yet again!

6. Derek Cooper

Found a way to change the polarity of the Controller's 2-pin Lemo with a simple reversed polarity JST cable.

Posted a vid on YouTube of Wes my pilot doing the change-over:

Carlos Filipe likes this.