/dist/images/branding/favicon

Comparing LiPo Batteries

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Andy Johnson-Laird, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I've created the first version of A Rather Good Guide™ to Certain LiPo Batteries. It's a work-in-progress and it compares some FF, QC and Maxamp batteries using a standardized testing system (a dummy load of 0.25 amps).

You can find the link to the PDF at http://rathergoodguides.com/documentguides.html
    It's available for free, but the cost to society is immeasurable.

Please read the introduction to the document on that page and the introduction and caveats in the document itself. I need to do more testing. Lots more testing.

If there's enough interest, I will test additional batteries for forum members subject to the following thoughts:

1. This is a limited time offer. When (if?) the Spring and Summer come to Oregon I'd rather be flying.

2. If you would like me to test a particular battery, please PM me and verify that I have not already done so. I'd rather test a wide range of vendors' batteries and a wide range of capacities than test the same old batteries over and over again. :)

3. Please find a way of shipping the battery to me (details via reply to your PM) and shipping the battery back to you. I don't mind spending my time doing the testing, but I would respectfully ask you cover the shipping costs. I could whimper persuasively if it will help?

4. I promise to try my best not to damage the battery. I'll just charge it up at 1C on a Hyperion Super Duo, and discharge it until the voltage hits 14.0 volts. I will do it two or three times, measuring the voltage, current, and temperature. I will send it back to you charged at storage voltage.

5. No electrons will be harmed. No smoke will come out of the wires. (Or if it does, I'll replace the battery for you.)

6. Please only think about sending new, or almost new (e.g. less than ten charge cycle) batteries -- none of your your clapped out, puffy, ready for the scrap heap, flown by Casey :), batteries, please.

7. I'll try my best to get the batteries on their way back to you within 48 hours -- I'll keep you posted on the likely delay time when you PM me that the battery is on its way to me.

EDIT: 8. On thinking about it, it would be good for comparison purposes if I could borrow a pair of batteries for testing if that might be possible.

9. Also, right now, I have the set up for EC5 connectors. If you're planning to convert to EC5 (from, say, Deans), it would be a Good Thing to do the conversion before you send the batteries. I can easily build an adapter from Deans to EC5 if required so don't let that hold you back!

As the document says, I welcome constructive criticism. Please address requests for money or ideas on how I can better spend my time to andy@fatchance.com**

Thanks
    Andy

** Surprise! That's not my real email account. There may be such an email account though. Let me know what you find out.

2. Duane Bradley

Duane Bradley Active Member

Can't you just tell me which batteries to buy?

Seriously though, took a quick read of it! Thank you for your service to the community! Yet again you have gone and worked hard for the benefit of everyone here!

Here is your cyber-beer....

Duane

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Andy, you are a mensch.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Of course! Buy the best one! Next question?

Thanks for the cyber-beer!

Andy.

5. Steve Maller

I'm using the Zippy 8000 4S bats. Unfortunately, I am using them in pairs, so I don't want to break up one of my pairs, and I am finding I have barely enough batteries to do some of what I want to do these days. But I just ordered another 4 bats from HobbyKing, and when they get here and I swap the leads for EC5, I'll send you a pair of them (if you haven't had a pair fall off the UPS truck before then). Thaigo raved about them, and I'm seeing performance on par with the QP 8000 4S bats. Quite happy so far. Much more aerodynamic, too. ;)

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I'd love to test a pair of them, Steve. I've tested neither Zippy nor Turnigy. Having EC5s would make it that much easier for me to test. Will you "condition" them with 2, 3, or 4 charge/discharge cycles or send them brand new? There seems to be two schools of thought on such "conditioning."

If you like, send them brand new, and I will test them four times and see whether they perform better after each charge/discharge cycle. That might add a bit more science to confirm or deny the claim that "conditioning" is required.

Andy.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Tsu gezunt!

Andy.

8. Steve Maller

It may be interesting to use brand new batteries, so I'll stick the EC5s on there once the oompa loompas unload my HobbyKing shipment from their rowboat on the beach next to my house. I really should spring for upgraded shipping...

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah, go for the white glove delivery, not the beached rowboat. The sand all over the LiPo's is a bitch ("beach?") to remove.
    Andy.

10. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

Idea: Come visit me in Florida. Clear blue skies today ( again - sheesh! ). Calm and cool in the mornings. Lots of open space, but if you insist we can find palm trees to tempt.

Thanks for the new RGG!

Joe

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Tempting, Joe. Very tempting. I can hear the palm trees calling my name...."over here.....fly over here....come closer leetle boy....."
    But I better stay here and finish up the RGG for GPX files, MK_GPXTOOL and Google Earth....

Andy.

12. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

The trees in FL do call for you to fly close:

Josh

kjetil tønnesen likes this.
  13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks to Steve Maller lending me a brace of Zippy 8000 4S1P Lipo's, I've now updated the Rather Good Guide to Comparing Certain LiPos at http://rathergoodguides.com/documentguides.html

Before you consider buying Zippy 8000 4S1P, please bear in mind that have not done life-cycle testing. I don't have any data as to how many charge/discharge cycles you will get from the Zippy batteries (nor the other batteries mentioned, for that matter).

Also, it might be worth pondering the Fifth Law of Thermodynamics: "Almost always you gets what you pays for." :)

Andy.

Steve Price and Steve Maller like this.
  14. Joe Azzarelli

andy
    link on page is broken...

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

That's odd. I tested it and it worked fine. Let me check.

Andy.

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

OK. I got "Dreamweavered..." (Well, actually it was PEBKAC. Problem exists between keyboard and chair.)

Please try it now.
    Andy.

17. Joe Azzarelli

all good now!

18. Joe Azzarelli

FWIW:
    My empirical results match your data. Specifically, flying with two zippys is more efficient. In addition they are cooler, as you might expect, which has to be a good thing...

Steve Maller likes this.
  19. Steve Maller

Andy, as always, I appreciate your herculean efforts. Thank you!