/dist/images/branding/favicon

Cinestar 6 Coax 12 motors?

Discussion in 'Cinestar 6' started by Jose Luis Ocejo, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

I always wonder why more folks not do a hexa with 12 motors most of the COAX configurations are 4 arms
    What are the main advantages other than the obvious more motors more lift power

What are the big desadvantages of a COAX with 6 arms

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I don’t know how many of the flight control systems can be properly configured for 12 motors. And with motor efficiencies improving pretty dramatically, it seems like overkill to me. For example, putting 8xU7 or 8xU8 on a copter can lift pretty amazing payloads. What’s the advantage of 12 motors? And there are more heavy duty Quad/Octo frames than there are Hexa frames.

But what do I know? :)

3. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Comlpexity. It is very easy to convert an 8 to and x8, you can't convert an 8 to a x12, it requires a new frame. Which is totally feasible though.

The other issue is i2c converters, need to have special firmware loaded to allow for MK to address motors 9,10,11,12 ... The other option is duplicating motor signals from a hex config ....

Its totally possible to do a x12 ... or even an x16 if that way inclined.

4. Jose Luis Ocejo

Steve and Chris one advantage that comes to mind is to bring added life to a standard motors Cinestar 6 with a Bl-2 now the many of us are upgrading to the new BL3 and bigger motors and are selling their trusted birds at low amounts instead why not double the motors I have a CS8 just like you and many but the folks with CS6 could just buy now cheaper BL2 and probably 6 cheap motors and now they have a double powerful bird on the same frame

5. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Dodeca motor setup .... so extending this you could do X12 or even x16 with most of the standard flight control systems ..... http://gryphondynamics.co.kr/motor-set-up

but like Steve says with the more efficiencies, why make something more complex .... other than for the exercise of building it ;)

Steve Maller likes this.
  6. Jose Luis Ocejo

I did also wonder that it could be more complex, I just hated the fact of suddenly outgrowing mainly because of needing to fly heavier payload the trusted 8 or 6 copter after all so so so many hours of learning, perfecting, tweaking to suddenly it is obsolete... the way I see it as long as it fly's the comfortable payload for its class its ok to keep it, but perhaps for a medium modification it could bring new life to it

Plus the benefits of the Coax world

7. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

You can do it and it should work. Just more complex, and more chance of making a mistake .... "did I double check motor cable on 16 twice was that motor 1 and 13" :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

8. Jose Luis Ocejo

I have 8 TG MT2814 710KV motors and 9, QC-3328 700 KV motors I wonder about mix in them on a coax?

9. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

put the mt2814 on the bottom and away you go, would be interesting to see. ....

Attached Files:

10. Dejan Mugosa

Dejan Mugosa Member

Done long time ago and its just too much motors and props which today is not needed any more.
    Well dodekas are fun and all but the work and seetings and all are just too much.
    THis was usefull back in the days when you did not have the power it is avalible today.
    Here is the link off one done 1 year agon

And the first dodeka for first red camara we did almost 3 years ago.

ber, Ozkan Erden and Steve Maller like this.
  11. Dejan Mugosa

Dejan Mugosa Member

Another dodeka we built last week.
    Payload about 24 pounds. Runs on 4x 10000 mah bateries.

h

12. engin ber

engin ber New Member

fantastic...

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

14. Dejan Mugosa

Dejan Mugosa Member

Well the new dodeka setup for 3D red system is working without glitches. #3D Filmation is using it and they are happy.
    Check the picture off the setup.

[​IMG]