/dist/images/branding/favicon

Camera plate for the Arri Alexa Mini

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Nuno Fernandes, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Nuno Fernandes

Nuno Fernandes New Member

I am a user of the Movi type of gimbals for some years as well as the Alta 8, the company where I work bought the Pro and we received it last week.
    Unfortunately I noticed that Freefly engineers don't consider the Alexa Mini users at all, once again I am not able to secure the camera to the gimbal sliding plates with 2 big screws on top and on the bottom, apparantely you guys are only taking in account the red camera, I supose.

Is that hard to design a proper sliding plate to secure the Alexa Mini properly?
    The way it is done right now lets the camera twist, I always have to tighten the screws frequently.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Interesting. I've been using the Freefly top and bottom plates that came with their V-Lock battery mount with the Mini, and those are all 1/4-20. Looks like you're using the Arri MAP plate.

You could try 3/8 to 1/4-20 bushing adapters and try to work with the hole spacing a little differently. Maybe if you turn the plate around?

I did notice that there's a photo of a base plate in the Freefly Store that looks different than the one that shipped with the Movi Pro. It looks like a 3/8" channel on one part of the plate, instead of specific holes. So maybe they updated the design of the base plate a little?

I also bought a Cinemilled baseplate for the Movi Pro, and I like it for its versatility, except it makes the back of the camera a little wider than I'd like with all the holes and spots he made for counterweights.

3. Nuno Fernandes

Hey!!

Yes, I am using the Arri original MAP plate and it makes no sense to buy extra parts to fit the camera properly on the gimbal, you don't need extra part to put the red there why the hell do I have to buy more adapters to put an very high end camera like the Arri?
    I do design CAD parts and mill them on our CNC as well and I know how easy and fast it is to modify the plates design to accomodate bothe cameras without the need of extra parts...
    Freefly team just need to WANT to do it!!!

4. Graham Futerfas

5. Nuno Fernandes

I have seen that plate already but I am already designing a costom MAP plate for the plate that comes with the movi, I'll mill it next week... away cheaper and faster than buying the freefly plate + shipping to europe + taxes.

I will make 2 different plates, one with 2x 3/8 threads and the other one with 2x 1/4 threads, for the bottom and top freefly plates.

But thank you any way for your attention, I know that were just trying to help.

6. Rob Ruscher

Rob Ruscher Member

I've flown the mini multiple times and with the same plates you have pictured. Just need to put a 1/4 20 bushing in the 3/8 thread and you'll be good to go.

And FYI, Red requires some customizing and extra parts as well

Best of luck!

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  7. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Hi Nuno,

I have built and am selling a top and bottom Movi Pro plate specifically for the Alexa Mini, it picks up on the four standard M4 mounting hols for the Alexa, and works with both the ARRI side plates, or I build custom side plates as well. Also a top handle is available for the camera plate when you take it out of the MoVi ..... have a look at these Top Plate .... Bottom Plate. I need to update the photos of the bottom plate, shown is for the M10/M15 dovetail, I have been busy using our MoVi Pro plates and need to take some photos of it for the store. I'll get a photo of it up tomorrow.

Cheers

Chris

8. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Here are some photos of our Alexa Mini - MoVi Pro plates, as well as the quick release top handle
    . IMG_1543.JPG IMG_1544.JPG IMG_1545.JPG IMG_1547.JPG

cheers

Rob Ruscher and Graham Futerfas like this.
  9. Graham Futerfas

That's great, Chris.

One thing you might consider is incorporating into your Top Handle an Eyepiece receiver (15mm rod, I think). That seems to be the one thing that's always a pain when we go from Movi to Studio or Handheld, and one reason I often have to re-configure the plates and take things apart. If your Top Handle could also hold the Arri EVF, it might be even more awesome.

Nice work. I know a lot of effort goes into these.

Ben Ruffell likes this.
  10. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Hi Graham, this is the top plate that we have been using for the last year with the M15, it has power breakout in it as well as the 15mm rod mount for the viewfinder EVF
    Alexa Mini Top MoVI Plate Side shot 1 small.jpg Alexa Mini Top MoVI Plate Side shot 2 small.jpg

With the slim line plates I have incorporated holes on the front that will take the ARRI rail mount. as shown in this render. the rail mount also fits the other way up so you can leave it on the top plate when the camera is in the MoVI.
    Alexa_Top_Plate_slimline 2.png Alexa_Top_Plate_Slimline.png

Cheers

Chris

Ben Ruffell likes this.
  11. Ryan Forte

Ryan Forte Member