/dist/images/branding/favicon

Best way to fly Alta 6 as single operator

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Eirik Nicolai Heim, May 14, 2016.

1. Eirik Nicolai Heim

Hi,

My set up:
    Alta 6
    Movi M10
    Wedge
    Toad in the hole
    Futaba and movi controller
    Mostly flying the Red Epic
    Running the latest firmwares

We are usually always dual operators when we are out flying our alta, but I would still like to be able to use it alone.

What is my best option then? Fly in "airborne" and keep the switch at pan lock, middle position, instead of dual op mode? Or do you have to fine tune some "handheld" settings with tilt lock to get smooth enough pictures?

Would be nice to just touch the movi controller before lift off and after landing, instead of switching when you are controlling the alta as well with the futaba.

Sorry if there already are good answers for this already.

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Handheld is your best bet. I do it all the time. While not as smooth as working with a camera operator, if you're good on your ALTA sticks, you can get pretty good results for certain camera moves.

Do not use airborne pan lock. It's just for takeoff/landing. And be aware that handheld mode makes taking off and landing a little complicated. In particular, you have to make sure to have the "front" position of the MōVI aligned with the front of the ALTA when you power up everything.

3. Eirik Nicolai Heim

As I guessed, you should go handheld yes. Flying solo will be for "easier" camera moves.

Can I switch to majestic before take off? And land in majestic? Do this mean that I have to very quick to takeoff and either be quick at turning off the motors or swap to kill when landed?

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Eirik

My sequence is like Steve. Have the flight deck pointed forward in alignment with the front of the MoVI. Start the motors with the MoVI in kill mode. Then in a quick sequence I put the Movi in Majestic Mode, increase power and take off. Again a fairly quick sequence.

If you don't have power to the motors on the Alta the flight deck will start spinning if the motors aren't providing lift. Easy way to understand the dynamics is set the MoVI with the landing gear on the ground and attach the handle bars instead of the the Alta. Go from Kill mode to Majestic mode. Unless there is resistance on the handlebars they will start spinning.

The 'resistance' with the Alta is the motors applying lift with the right hand stick centered left/right.

With the recent Service Bulletin about not sitting on the ground with the throttle above idle (please read it http://forum.freeflysystems.com/ind...-for-altas-best-practices-for-take-offs.8014/) it explains why you don't want to sit for very long after engaging Majestic mode before you takeoff.

When Landing I land in Majestic Mode, stop the motors and then put the MoVI in Kill mode. The deck will usually spin but it doesn't do it violently and by the time I walk over to the rig it has usually stopped.

5. Eirik Nicolai Heim

Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, I know you need "resistance" to not spin either with an Alta or handlebar.

Do you think this is stressful or is it ok, almost like flying dual?

Wondering if it is just ok to kill it before landing or if I should kill if afterwards, guess it will not be spinning that violently.

Someone who has good settings for handheld majestic mode when flying? To get the smoothest pictures.

6. Eirik Nicolai Heim

Do I have to set som offset values or something.

I found it was quite ok to take off and land alone with the movi controller next to me on a tripod.
    But once in air, the movi about 90 degrees to the right?

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Eirik it sounds like the flight deck is rotated 90 degrees in the Toad. The Toad on the gimbal has a 'front' position. Most folks mark the 'front' with some type of mark with the handles so they know which side is the 'front'. That side needs to be facing the front flight path direction when you mount the Alta to the gimbal.

8. Eirik Nicolai Heim

Ah, of curse. Just test with the handles yes, and from then I know. Should have knew this myself.

Thanks!

9. Eirik Nicolai Heim

Do you have some good settings for majestic mode? Pan? The paning is really bad.