/dist/images/branding/favicon

Awkward tilt movement

Discussion in 'Radian' started by John Wesseler, Dec 7, 2012.

1. John Wesseler

John Wesseler New Member

Hi FreeFlySystems!
    ?
    I just got my Radians installed on the CS-gimbal and have the following issue.
    Don’t know how to explain so made a short video:

Setup:
    - Cinestar Gimbal with FreeFly servo’s ?
    - Spektrum DX7 with AR8000 receiver

Sorry for the short supply of information, hope it is something simple.

Thanks advance!

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

It looks like you are getting a lot of noise on the Slew channel controlling the tilt axis. You can see the Slew indicator moving suddenly left and right instead of being moving smoothly.

Also what I don't understand is the the Diagnostic Window and Configuration Window are showing the Roll Radian sensor, yet the problem you are having seems to be on the Tilt axis. Can you clarify what is going on here?

Do you, for example, have the Tilt sensor configured to be the Roll Sensor?

Andy.

3. John Wesseler

John Wesseler New Member

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the fast reply!

Excuse me, i tried the Roll-1 preset to see if this has the same issue as the tilt-preset. It does. Forgot to set it back to Tilt-01 for the video. The ‘real‘ roll radian has the same ‘glitches‘ on slew input. ??Yes the indicator goes all over the place, it does the same thing when adjusting the end-points in the transmitter for the 3 ‘modes’. (adjusting the end-points in the transmitter to get the mode you want for that switch (AUX 2) I setup endpoint values in which it stays ‘steady’.

I tried a different receiver (AR7000), it has the same ‘glitching’ issue. I can’t use the ‘clean loop wiring setup’ and use Spektrum-satellite only as I use another type of gyro for the 360? pan.

Stabilization is perfect! But can’t use tilt with this problem. What to try next?

Kind Regards and thanks in advance!

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Aevi-8:
    Firstly, please note the requirement to change your user name to your real first and last name. On December 10 this will be a requirement to continue using the forum.

Secondly: Thanks for the more detailed information. Good idea to swap out the receiver. Electrical noise can be a tricky issue to sort out.
    I presume you have checked the Spektrum transmitter servo display screen to make sure that the noise is not coming from the potentiometers themselves? I'd do that just to eliminate that possibility.

Then I would try this experiment: Disconnect all the servos -- they can generate a lot of electrical noise -- then see if the slew control is still showing the noise. Let me know what you find.

If disconnecting the servos doesn't help, then we're going to have to dig into the exact way that you have your DC power distribution and the Radian wiring. I'll not bore you with a bunch of additional questions until I hear whether having the servos unplugged and unpowered makes a difference.

Andy.

5. John Wesseler

John Wesseler New Member

Hi Andy!

Thanks again for the fast reply!?
    Tried the things you suggested and I made a new video.
    Pretty much self explainable:?

?
    What I also tried:
    Replaced wires (as seen in the video)
    Using other transmitter (DX8)

Please tell me it’s something as simple as “Dude, you connected the wires wrong, RTFM”..

?Regards,

John

6. John Cunningham

Hey John,

Do you have the latest firmware in your Radians ?. The first version had a PWM input glitching problem just like you are seeing.

7. John Wesseler

John Wesseler New Member

Thanks John!

That did the trick, i'll remove the vids from youtube.

Thanks again!

8. John Cunningham

Glad to help.