/dist/images/branding/favicon

Amira on the M 15

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Balázs Révész, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Balázs Révész

Balázs Révész New Member

2. Tim Sessler

Tim Sessler Active Member

Thanks for sharing! How much space do you have on the back? Do you have full tilt or does the back of the camera hit against the Roll Bar at some point?

Cheers

3. Balázs Révész

Balázs Révész New Member

Details:
    The busiest part of the year is over so I decided to max out possibilities with my M15. Yesterday we were testing the Dragon with heavy lenses (MP and Angénieaux mid LW Zoom w LMB) no problem.
    It should hold the Master Anamorphics as well since they're lighter than the MPs.
    So we scheduled for today a session with the Amira.
    As you see we attached a V-lock plate w battery on the side with a couple of Bongo ties and the unusable dovetail plates we replaced with two ninja plates. There's some engineering work needed to do it properly but this way the camera can be balanced properly and clearance is good enough to tilt up 75 and down 90+ degrees. It is really on the limit, just the two mini antennas had to be removed from the back top of the camera to achieve this. The carbon V-lock adapter what appeared for the Epic has to be redone for this but I'm gonna make it done one day and somebody else will for sure. So good luck everybody with this and I am very happy Arri can be flown from now without the leash:)))))
    Peace yo

Andrea Cecchini likes this.
  4. Balázs Révész

Balázs Révész New Member

The Roll bar is ok, the pan motor was hitting the antennas tilting the camera down so we removed them.
    Isn't it beautiful.
    DSC_9041.jpg
    DSC_9048.jpg
    Here's AMIRA displayed nicely
    The whole installation is around 10 kgs / 22 lbs.

5. Eric De Fino

Eric De Fino Member

Amazing. Thanks for sharing!

6. Andrea Cecchini

Top Balazs!!!
    Share a photo with Movi Ring, please!

7. Charles Bergquist

Awesome! Been waiting to see if it was possible, nice work! At 22lbs does it still work pretty well? How's your battery situation on the side? Don't have an Amira but it's really intriguing!

8. Balázs Révész

Balázs Révész New Member

Thanks.
    Yeah it works well, behaved normally. I have pics w the ring from yesterday with the dragon-MP setup, here it is.
    It is a Dragon, not the Amira.
    DSC_9016.jpg
    One more beauty with the bigeye beast. plenty of room around.
    DSC_8916.jpg
    Can't be told about the Amira. That one fits the M15 with a Compact prime about same how an Epic fit the M10 with an Ultra Prime. But I think that's a huge progress.
    Amira w. CP2
    DSC_9041.jpg
    and an Epic on an M10 in March
    IMG_6921.jpg
    Great Thanks to Vision Team Hungary where I could test as much as I could this last beautiful year to "MAX" things out:)
    (visionteam.hu)

Ryan Hamelin likes this.
  9. Balázs Révész

Balázs Révész New Member

And similar amount of thanks to Gábor Komora for the Amira

10. Ryan Hamelin

Ryan Hamelin Member

Without the battery on the side of the Amira, does the weight shift the camera too far back? We use our own proprietary power system on the top handle to power cameras and accessories in general since it keeps that weight off the gimbal, but I'm curious to know if the lack of a side mounted battery prevents you from being able to balance the rig front to back.

11. Kurt Wallrath

Kurt Wallrath Member

Great job Balazs, you beat me to it :)

I'd suggest buying longer carbon tubes (25mm) so you can move the Amira farther back. Also, I'd go with the Heden M21 to get the weight down and maybe a lighter wireless ff receiver like the Heden Karat. You may consider placing your power supply above the handle bars to further reduce the weight and increase battery life.

12. Balázs Révész

Balázs Révész New Member

Ryan
    Without the battery behind the balance point the camera would have to be more back for balance and hit the Roll bar since the mass of the camera is concentrated around the front (sensor, cooler, PL mount, lens, lens motor, parts inside I have no idea about) and most of them can't really be changed.
    Kurt
    thanks, yes longer bars would be a solution but I'm afraid the pan bars would have to be longered as well. And the motor and sensor cables would have to be longered or detached from the M15 body I wouldn't alter this great equipment that much. I would do it with a kit from Freefly only but that might be called M20:)

We with my fellow gimbal operator friend Robert Szilágyi - great thanks to him for his creative ideas - cooked with what we had (ninja stars, bongo ties, dual lock, spare screws) and it worked and can be repeated.

13. Balázs Révész

Balázs Révész New Member

Charles actually we didn't have scales to measure it with the Amira, 22 lbs. was just a guess.
    Based on measures the day before when we had scales and Dragon with MP21 and LMB was 6,28 kg 13,8 lbs. (Plenty of room around the camera body.)
    The Movi with Dragon MP21 LMB weighed a bit under 10 kgs 22 lbs
    I based my statement about the Amira on this because it felt around the same and
    Amira body 4,5 kg
    CP lens 0,9 kg
    Beillen battery 0,6 kg
    plates cables cca. 0,5kg
    together 6,5 kg

14. dan mohr

dan mohr New Member

sweet!

what hardware do u like to get the M15 plate to the Amira top dovetail?

15. Balázs Révész

Balázs Révész New Member

The unusable dovetail plates we replaced with two ninja plates and leftover screws with spacers.
    I say unusable because they are increasing camera height both on top and bottom and the camera just fits with 2 thin ninjas in the cage.

16. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

17. Charlie Beyer

Charlie Beyer Member

What power cable did you use from the CF V lock plate to the Amira body? Was it custom or stock somewhere?
    Did you find that nijna holes lined up with the Amira top and bottom sliding dovetail holes or did you have to pilot noes holes in the Ninjas?
    Excellent work. I put an Amira on my M15 but never removed the Gold Plate on the back nor the small antennas. I figure that a EF lens combined with some kid of counter weight on the body like the MDR would be required to make the balance work. I saw the need for a thin top and bottom plate to mount to the Movi. The Ninja plate seems perfect. FYI I like to wear the Battery in a belt to reduce both the weight on my arms as well as increase the performance of the Movi. Not for everyone I know.

18. Wolf Schiebel

Wolf Schiebel Active Member

Hi,

we did it also:

Amira was powered by a Bebob V75 V-mount battery, lasts about 30 min. To be optimized…. but so far no issues.. No matte box and internal nd´s though..

Cheers,

Wolf

Amira_3.jpg Amira_1.jpg Amira_2.jpg

Axel Rodil likes this.
  19. Kurt Wallrath

Kurt Wallrath Member

Thanks for sharing Wolf! How much did it weigh? Did you need to use a ninja star to attach the M15 dovetail to the camera?

20. Wolf Schiebel

Wolf Schiebel Active Member

I guess the weight was about 6 kgs.

No, i used the Amira topplate, which fits also in the bottom dovetail.

Best,

Wolf