/dist/images/branding/favicon

A good trick to stiffen the connection between CS6 and 3 Axis gimbal

Discussion in '3 Axis Gimbal' started by Marc BRACELET, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Marc BRACELET

Marc BRACELET Active Member

As some of you will have noticed the camera mounting plate of the CS6 is a bit flexible to support the 3 Axis Gimbal.:rolleyes:

CS6_camera_mount.jpg

I found a little trick that consists in matching 2 "Camera Mounting Plate" with 5/6mm spacers.
    With this assembly, the 2 mouting plate are very rigid and does not bend at all because the weight of the frame.

IMG_2749.JPG IMG_2750.JPG IMG_2751.JPG IMG_2753.JPG

It is only the O'Ring that works and the result is much stable with video, more, the little problem of the screw touching the pulley has completely disappeared ...! :cool:

IMG_2754.JPG

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Marc:
    Nice solution.
    Thanks
    Andy.

3. JY Air

JY Air New Member

Machining aluminum 5mm
    The middle scooped out the parts you do not need to 2mm, and is used to reduce weight.

4. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

That's nice, and brings the booms up a little higher so they don't get in the shot as quick.

5. Berndt Frogner

Berndt Frogner New Member

E-One, that looks like a neat solution to stiffen the gimbal mounting plate, I'm considering doing the same with my CS8, can you share some comments whether this has improved vibration issues for you ? Any other observations ?

Thx, //Berndt

6. Marc BRACELET

Marc BRACELET Active Member

Hi Berndt, on the results of this assembly, I would say that for a 5D/7D gain stability is strong enough as it is really only the "O-Ring" wich work. But with a lighter camera, the results are the means of spacers that touch mostly the edges of dampners and this give to the gimbal few vibrations.

Finally, for a camera of 1.8 to 2kg it is perfect, but for less than 1.5 Kg it is not suitable because the gimbal is really too hard ...!

But for sure if you want a stiffer gimbal, you can give a try this method....:cool:

Marc.

7. Berndt Frogner

Berndt Frogner New Member

We are mostly flying D800 with 20, 35, or 50mm primes so we are in the 1,5kg range. Maybe I'm chasing ghosts here but my feeling when observing just plain hovering and gentle movements in calm conditions is a twitch/shake kind of movement, and it's not the vibration isolators bottoming out or Radian introduced (no real difference noted with slew mode on/off). I'm going to give your modification a try if nothing else to be able to eliminate one possible source.....

-Berndt

8. Philip Ellerbroek

Berndt,

I'm having the same issue. Did you do this modification since this post? If so, did it help?

Phil

9. Brandon Loeser

We had the same issue with the CS8 mount for 360 too. So we bought another mounting plate, just got longer screws to mount it (no spacers) and it's so much better. No flex. It's a pricey solution. Perhaps they'll beef up the newer plates in the future and make them twice as thick.

10. Philip Ellerbroek

Brandon,

Did you glue the plates together? Or just screws with nuts with nut lock? Could you post a picture?

Phil

11. Brandon Loeser

Phil I'll get a picture for you later but it's nothing special. No glue or tape, just the screws holding the plate to the CS is what keeps the thing ridged. You'll need longer screws for mounting though.

12. Philip Ellerbroek

13. Brandon Loeser

Double mounting plate for the CS8 to 360 gimbal. No glue. Screws are longer here and to mount to the CS.
    Double Plate.jpg

14. Philip Ellerbroek

Brandon,

Is that freshly poured brew in the background? I'm guessing this is part of the modification correct?

Phil

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Copter pilot fuel. :)

16. Brandon Loeser

Ha. Sadly no... I think it's a salt shaker. Great. Now I'm thirsty.

17. Bryan Harvey

Bryan Harvey Member

where do you find the longer screws? what size, how long?

18. Brandon Loeser

Just got them at the local hobby shop. I believe I got 3mm x 20mm. If you're using the 3 axis gimbal, take the existing longer screws from the pulley and use those where the shorter screws went and replace those with the longer screws. I think I just confused myself.

19. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Did somebody say beer?