/dist/images/branding/favicon

3 axis wheels for Movi XL

Discussion in 'MōVI XL' started by James Layton ACO, Sep 29, 2017.

1. James Layton ACO

James Layton ACO New Member

Could someone recommend the best wheels to use with the Movi XL? I like the Alpha wheels, but as far as I’m aware they only do 2 axis control and the third axis is essential.

I’d also like to know how it compares to a Scorpio or Libra on a moving vehicle with a jib arm or crane?

Thanks

2. Oli Harris

Oli Harris New Member

I've been using the A1 wheel via Mimic with the XL and the response is good n snappy. Also the lack of drift is great.
    The lack of roll control is a major pain, I was hoping the bush pilot would be assignable to roll but alas no.
    Also the speed control is a little limited in range. And the lack of of other controls i.e. ramping limits etc is a con.
    Mimic on a Oconner fluid head has proved good.
    The range on the Mimic in real world use is workable but a little to short. And when you do lose signal the head goes to an excited state, where as it should wait for a connection then apply the command signal.
    I would like to try the Klaxon wheels for their 3axis wheels and other input controls. Maybe need to wait for the digital version with no drift.
    I wonder if Freely will update the Movi controller to a non RC system in the future. Or maybe A1 tools will have an advanced Mimic box with more inputs.
    who knows..........
    good luck

Ben Ruffell likes this.
  3. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

Like Oli, I have the 1A Alpha wheels.

I have not really used them much, as most of my operating is with the joystick, filming from fast moving vehicles.

But, what I have done is run the wheels through the movi controller. I can then have the roll assigned to one of the dials on the controller, so, it is an option to adjust when operating.

I will put some photos up showing the setup on our website sometime: http://www.overview.nz/

4. James Davis

James Davis New Member

The Alpha Wheels with a MOVI Controller stacked on top is currently the best option out there, you can assign the iris knob as dutch/roll axis or you can assign it to the zoom demand so it auto centers when you let go.

Third Axis control...Is it essential? Not Really, the built in auto-horizon is quite frankly amazing compared to the likes of older scorpio heads or anything from that era, so it's not something you need to touch when operating unless you want to make the camera go off level for operating purposes.

How does it compare to a Scorpio or Libra on a moving vehicle.....better would be an understatement, i've literally just today seen footage of it getting thrown around a racetrack at speeds of 80-100mph, it's the best looking stabilized head i've seen this side of a shotover....zero horizon drift, super responsive, you won't be disappointed, drop me a line James and i'm happy to show you what we've been using ours for. Our XL has been out constantly since we bought it, we've got great techs that go out with it and superb accessory options too.

james@motion24.tv

5. James Layton ACO

James Layton ACO New Member

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback. In the end they went with the Klassen wheels and movi controller. I don’t suppose anyone knows the settings to use for all this?! There are so many variables throughout the system!