/dist/images/branding/favicon

2 Axis gimbal setup with one GR-24 receiver?

Discussion in '2 Axis Gimbal' started by Julian MORENO, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Julian MORENO

Julian MORENO New Member

Good afternoon. I'm thinking on building a single operator setup on a 2 axis gimbal with Radian stabilization for a Cinestar 8 frameset. The only thing that intrigues me is basically in regards of controlling the camera tilt and the transmitter configuration for that. What I'm wondering is if 2 receivers are needed, one for flight control and another for the gimbal. I just have one GR-24, and I guess that is all I'll need... or not? If so, how will the configuration (servo cables) should be connected from the GR-24. It is possible to take out one servo cable from any channel on the GR-24, and connect it to port 1 on the roll Radian? What configuration after that will be needed either on the Transmitter (MX-20) and on MKtools? Are there any tutorials on this. Many thanks.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Julian, yes this is very easy to do with the GR24. On the MX-20 folks typically use one of the rotary knobs (CTRL 7 or 8) and a three position switch to control the mode. However depending on how you have your MX-20 setup you may find that you do not have enough switches/knobs of the correct type to control all of the flight control functions plus the gimbal. Example there are only 2, 3 way switches on the MX-20. One is typically dedicated to PH/Come Home. I have a camera trigger that needs a 3 way switch. Until I got the MC-32 I had to use a rotary knob (CTRL 8) to act as the Mode switch for the Radians. Not ideal but it worked until I got the MC-32 and installed a couple more switches of the type that I needed.

If you are using the GR24 you would need two direct channels using servo wires connected to the Roll Radian. One channel for controlling tilt and the other to control mode. They would connect to Port 1 and 2.

THere are videos from Freefly, Quadrocopter and Thiago Krause on YouTube and Vimeo that discuss radio setups. There are also posts on the forum from various topics that might help.

3. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Steve Maller likes this.
  4. Julian MORENO

Julian MORENO New Member

Thank you Gary, I'll try to figure that out with the MX-20 and one rotary knob. I'm not using come home at the moment, so I could use a three way switch for control mode.

5. Julian MORENO

Julian MORENO New Member

That's a great diagram, thank you very much Adam, it makes everything a lot clear and easy to wire. However I don't quite get what's coming out from channel 9 on the GR-24, and then crossing the yellow line between port 2 on the roll Radian and port 2 on the tilt Radian. Is that an actual wire?

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

The yellow wire is a Y-connection (a splitter) that feeds Channel 9 from the GR-24 into port 2 of both the Tilt and Pan Radian. Port 2 is the Mode control so you can set the Radians to off, stabilized fixed, or stabilized slew.

If you can, I would recommend you do have the option to use Come Home. It can prove very useful if you lose orientation of the bird and you feel that sense of rising panic when you try to fly it closer and it goes further away...

Andy

7. Julian MORENO

Julian MORENO New Member

You're absolutely right Andy, and thanks for your input. I've been flying a Cinestar 8 with a camera gimbal for three weeks now (mostly on weekends), and on my first and second day that feature could prove a major help for me as I get panicked for more than once. Fortunately calmed down and come to my senses. Anyway, I haven't been able to take time and look further into MK tools programing, as I guess that would be required in order to properly use that feature. I'll take some time this weekend and look into that.

Also, don't know if this sounds silly, but while controlling a 2 axis gimbal with radians, is control mode only off and on (stabilized slew), or is it the same as on a 3 axis gimbal, where I know I can have as you mentioned: off, stabilized fixed, and stabilized slew?

Thank you very much, indeed.

Julian.

8. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Julian if you want tilt you use stabilized slew. Mode 0/off, Mode 1 Stabilized tilt/roll, Mode 2 ability to control tilt.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Julian: With the two axis gimbal, as Gary says, you have the same modes....the Radian doesn't know you unplugged the pan servo. Well....it may know but it doesn't care! :)

Andy.

10. Ryan McMaster

Ryan McMaster Active Member

Any advice on setup with an MC-32? Having a bear of a time getting any signal to the radians and I followed the wiring diagram to the T (other then the use of the lawmate/HDMI converter, using a Teradek Clip). Tx is set to SUMO 12, RX is a GR24. When I open the radian program I don't get a check in the PPM Valid, I can't see anything in the input monitor. Any help would be greatly appreciated!