/dist/images/branding/favicon

2 Axis Gimbal Battery Location

Discussion in '2 Axis Gimbal' started by Chris Daidone, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

So I scored a really killer deal on a CS8 w/ 2-axis gimbal (my first real investment in the "Big Boy World"). The build is really legit as far as I can tell. The thing I'm not too crazy about is the location in which the original owner has chosen to mount the 2C gimbal battery. Just wanted to poll the forum to see where the best location is to do so?

Thanks!

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Shoot a photo of where it is mounted and folks can comment.

3. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

Yeah that would probably help, eh? So looking at the setup, and how the previous owner had configured the length of battery wires, and also looking at the velco configurations on both the batteries and the frame, I can only see two possible positions for the battery. See pictures below.

2.JPG 1.JPG

4. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Chris,
    I would imagine the placement of the battery is simply being used as a counter weight to level the machine. When switching between cameras, the COG is different, hence moving the battery to compensate. I move my gimbal battery to compensate when swapping the 5DMKII for the CX760V. Every set up is a bit different and you may need to find another mounting location depending which cameras you fly.
    I have my battery mounted directly on the gimbal as seen in this photo.

Attached Files:

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

On my 2 axis setup I simply power the gimbal from the main battery, through a BEC (Castle from QC) to reduce the voltage. Eliminates the weight and clutter. Wiring can go down from the center hub through the gimbal rear drop tube. Keeps everything very clean. I put JST's or Servo connectors on the wires above the drop tube so that I could disconnect the gimbal if needed.

6. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member