/dist/images/branding/favicon

Winter is coming...

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Mathieu Nadon, Dec 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mathieu Nadon

Mathieu Nadon New Member

Any trouble using the M15 for outdoor shoots during winter? How do the batteries react? Anyone has some tricks he wants to share? Thanks guys!

Oh, winter in Montreal is around -15 Celsius, give or take... ;)

#1 Mathieu Nadon, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

You will find that the batteries do not like the cold -- no batteries do, I'm afraid. I'd try making up a foam or woolen "sock" to put around the batteries and keep the fully charged batteries in an inside pocket so you can keep the warm. The motors on the M15 should work ok, but -15C is "a bit chilly."

For the M15 operator, you might want to consider copious supplies of "Caribou" (for those unfamiliar with Quebec's Carnival, see https://www.pri.org/stories/2014-02-14/quebecs-secret-recipe-beating-cold-its-caribou). However after a few of these you may find the operator is unable or unwilling to hold the M15. :rolleyes:

(I lived in Toronto, Ont. and experienced Quebec's Carnival some decades ago.)

Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Mathieu Nadon

Mathieu Nadon New Member

Thanks for your reply Andy! I suggested my costumer to use a hotshot strapped on the batteries and covered from wind. I'm pretty confident about the gyros system, shouldn't be a problem!

Carnival is only a certain date during winter though, most of the time we don't drink outside for fun... ;) And let me say in case some youngsters see a cool side in it, always stay in a group. Never hang out by yourself if you drink outside at -25, we might find you frozen the next morning! Sad but true so be responsible!

Merry Christmas to all!

Mat

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

How true, Mat. I remember seeing stories of alcohol freezing in people's throats. Not a good way to pop one's clogs!

Have a good holiday!
    Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert