/dist/images/branding/favicon

Hacking DSLR battery to power camera from power supply

Discussion in 'Batteries & Power' started by caicha, Nov 28, 2017.

1. caicha

caicha New Member

In my free time, I'm really want to do somethings that make me feel excited, so I find a interesting things, during the do time I met some problem, the situation is following: I would like to power my DSLR for long captures with a power supply. I know the voltage and inner structure of the official batteries. The battery has 2x 3,7V cells inside with a circuit. People worked on this issue report that the battery's circuit is there to protect shortage or high current draw for protection. The circuit also provides authentication and ID to the camera. If this is not provided camera seems to know this and display error message.

What I am thinking doing now is to use manufacturer's own charger to provide the power, while battery is still attached. Meaning, that the power supply will simultaneously "charge" the battery and in parallel will supply power to the camera. The authentication pin can this way be connected to the camera.

I don't want to kill my camera, therefore I am asking, if this can go wrong in any way?

PS: I will keep the actual battery outside (for the authentication pin), while a 3D modeled/printed power supplied fake battery will go into the camera.

One last question. I am not very good at electronics. But if I connect the original battery in parallel with a power supply, is that ok?

Plan (blue line: authentication pin):
    [​IMG]
    Edit: I forgot to mention that there is an adapter sold by Nikon to fit into the battery hole and power via external power supply. However, >$45 is too expensive for dumb power supply. If I can 3D print my part, then I can have the same thing for <$5. This is also a matter of principle.
    I’m open to any and all suggestions. Thanks.

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Sounds like a lot of trouble to save $40. :) But good luck. Sounds... interesting?

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Oh, and to answer your question: Yes, plenty can go wrong. This kind of battery chemistry can deliver a lot of power very quickly if you accidentally short the battery together or reverse the polarity. That will definitely provide you with the excitement quota that you said you like to get! :)

I would NOT connect up the system the way you are proposing -- the charger will be providing a higher voltage than the battery (otherwise it would not charge, of course). and that higher voltage may well fry something in the camera.

I would be remiss if I didn't second Graham's idea. Forego the excitement and the risk of burning up the camera and pay the $40 for the external power supply -- it will doubtless have a voltage regulation in it to ensure that no harm comes to the camera.

Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert