/dist/images/branding/favicon

Akira firmware 5.0.2 bugs thread

Discussion in 'MōVI FAQ - Tips and Tricks' started by Tuukka Ylonen, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

I did. Will let you know.

2. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Still no answer from Freely support...

3. Deniz Ozgoren

Deniz Ozgoren Support Mage
    Staff Member

Are the filters found in the "basic" tuning screen Gyro filters or Output filters or a third filter kind? And what´s the workflow? Try with the "basic" filters first and if that does not help, tamper with the "advanced" filters?

There are two kinds. Output and Gyro. If you have looked at the charts I shared with you before, last section indicates "Output filters and gyro filter can generally be used interchangeably. Here is a test to prove that.".

If you set the Output filter to 1, then you get to change the independent ones (ones in the basic screen). Values above 1 override the independent ones and sets them all to same value.

Independent filtering is really important if you look at the other charts. Tilt is usually mechanically much stiffer than other axis, so it doesn't require much filtering as pan does.

To get the best out of tuning, here is a suggested workflow:

Setup
    • Set Gyro filter to minimum, as output + gyro ~= total filter. This way you can start seeing responses from lowest filtering.
    • Set Output filter to 2, so it controls all axis (less work during experiment).
    Repeat
    • Autotune (70% is good. Doesn't matter much during this data collection as long as you use the same value through out)
    • Write down the stiffness values you get from autotune for each axis.
    • Change Output filter. If you want extra fidelity, increase by 1. If you want to finish this faster, increase more.

Usually you never need filter values more than 20. So you can stop there. Now look at each axis, and see what filter values resulted in most stiffness value. Set the Output filter back to 1 so you can put independent ones.

For example if you got best on pan with Output filter set to 12, then it would mean 13 (+ 1 from gyro) total is good for pan. In this case you could have:
    • Pan output filter at 8 and gyro at 5 = 13, or
    • Pan output filter at 12 and gyro at 1 = 13, or
    • Pan output filter at 3 and gyro at 10 = 13, etc
    I personally put gyro filter on the higher end. For instance if tilt needed the lowest and needed 5 total, then I would set gyro at 4, and do calculations for independent output filters from there.

MōVI Pro does all this for us now! Such a time saver.

tuning graph-02.png tuning graph-01.png

4. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

I have been in contact with Freefly with the apply preset issue. I also made an extensive test with four different iOS devices with iOS 10.3.3 and one Android device with Android version 4.4.2. I have two wifi adapters and I tested all the devices and both wifi adapters.

The result was that the "apply preset" process halts at 46% with all four iOS devices and both wifi adapters and the MoVI app crashes.

With the Android both wifi adapters work OK and the "apply preset" finishes at 100% without problems.

Freefly claims that they have not been able to replicate this but I find it very strange that I have four iOS devices and they all do excactly the same. Has anyone else had this issue?

The test setup was as follows:

The iOS devices were iPhone 7 128GB version, iPhone 6 64GB version, iPad mini 4 wifi/cellular 16GB version and iPad mini 3 wifi 16GB version. All had iOS 10.3.3.

The Android tablet is Acer Iconia B1-721. It has Android version 4.4.2

The MoVI was my M5 with fw 5.0.2. LiPo was full at 16.8V. The MoVI app was freshly downloaded last weekend from App Store to the iOS devices.

The only difference seems to be geogaphical location. Freefly people are in the US and I am in Europe. I am not an app expert, but could this be causing the app crash at 46%. The other explanation would be that there is a bug in the MoVI app and Freefly are not interested in updating it because it only works with the older MoVIs that they are no longer selling (with the exception of M5).

5. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Anyone? Same problem and/or solution on this? Freefly support has not been able to help.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Tuukke: Wow. That's really strange -- you've certainly done your due diligence on trying all the various devices.

I'm going to speculate that there is some weird issue with the gimbal control unit. I realize that that is not what you want to hear, but, sadly, I suspect that if I'm even faintly correct, that you may have to bite the bullet and send the unit back to Freefly to get this resolved. What a pain...

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

7. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Hi Andy

Just out of curiosity, I tested the wifi adapters with the two other MoVIs I have. A M10 that also has a no GPS lock issue and a M15 that has no issues.

Both returned the same result as with with the M5, that is the "write" process stops at 46% and the iOS application crashes.

I guess I am so incredibly unlucky then that all THREE of my MoVIs are somehow broken in this peculiar way. Personally I find that a bit hard to believe though.

Freefly insists that they are unable to replicate the issue. Understandably I do not see the shipping of THREE MoVIs from Europe to the US just for this as a tempting option because the shipping only would easily be 1000USD.

Regards,
    Tuukka

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Tuukka: Hmmm. This is really puzzling. I've not seen the like of it before. You've tested with multiple MoVI's and multiple phones/pads.

I am, of course, joking, but it would seem that you are are the only common factor. <very evil grin>.

Actually, there is another possible issue -- was all your testing done in the same physical place? If so, there is one possible explanation which is that you've got a lot of radio frequency interference and that is somehow causing problems.

I realize that this is a rather bizarre theory, but I wonder whether you might be able to test in some "radio quiet" location where there is not too much activity on Wifi and Bluetooth frequencies?

Of course, if you have already tried this, my theory, bizarre or not will end up as smoking wreckage.....

Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

9. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Sorry to wreck your theory Andy, but yes - I have tried the "apply" in many different locations. Also it would be illogical that the "save" always works and only the "apply" fails and always at 46%. Not to mention that both "save" and "apply" work as intended with an Android device regardless of location.

I am very very puzzled by this and I have gone to great lengths trying to make the darn wifi adapters to work. I will be shipping them to Freefly as at the moment they are only useful to me as paperweights.

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Tuuka: Hmm. It sounds like you've done everything you can do to diagnose the issue. Like you, I'm baffled. I cannot believe all the hardware you've tried has failed -- the Universe (usually) doesn't work that way.

Sigh...Anteeksi en voi olla enemmän.

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

Tuukka Ylonen likes this.