/dist/images/branding/favicon

MoVI Pro GPS/Position Lock Stability issues...

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Alec Caton, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Alec Caton

Alec Caton New Member

Hi,

Is anyone else having issues with their MoVI Pro underperforming?

I'm having some real stability issues while in an aerial configuration. It would appear the main problem I'm having is that the Pro cannot link up to enough satellites to guarantee a GPS and Position Lock and we're getting a 'rocking' and 'knocking' motion while in flight. It's been used in various locations and left for a good hour on occasions to acquire satellites, so I don't I don't think it's the environment we are in that's causing the issues. I've tried to counter the rocking by adjusting the Gyro and Output filters but adjusting these doesn't counter the 'rocking' and only amplifies any fast oscillation/vibration.

I've had it sat next to our M5 and M10 with our Alta, all of which are able to acquire over a dozen or so satellites. Is there something that I should be looking for in the calibration? I've read a few notes on here with similar issues and I've tested various options with the head assist however the problem still persists.

There's also a bit of an issues with using a Spektrum DX8 Controller which I'm just fine tuning, there seems to be an issues with over panning in the sticks, which I would usually dial through the adjustments on the Dual Op controls, however, any Smoothing or Expo adjustments don't seem to register with the Pro. It also has a bit of a tendency to 'drop-out' and the controls render useless. Does anyone else have similar issues?

We've used MoVI's for quite some time now and I usually know some of the tricks to fine tune them, however I'm struggling to get similar results with the Pro.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Alec:

Could you post a video clip to illustrate the rocking and knocking motion please?

I presume the "various locations" to which you refer were all outside with good sky view? If so, then it does sound like an issue with the GPS receiver on the MoVI Pro -- as you say, if the other devices are getting numerous satellites, then it should be too.

I'm also puzzled by you wrote: "however, any Smoothing or Expo adjustments don't seem to register with the Pro." Smoothing and Expo are something that happens entirely with the Spektrum -- it certainly alters the radio signals it sends, but the MoVI Pro doesn't "know" that you're using Expo as such -- it such responds to the adjusted radio signal sent from the Spektrum.

If you put a crazy large amount of Expo on the right stick's forward/back motion and then switch to monitoring the RC channels on the Spektrum Servo Setup screen (see page 22 of the Spektrum DX8 manual), you should see that the stick is way less sensitive around its center point -- the whole point of expo, of course!

Hope this helps
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Alec Caton

Alec Caton New Member

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply. From what I've been reading, I think it may be an issue with our GPS, I'll wait on FF to send us a reply on how to fix this. As for the expo/smoothing issues, I see what your are saying, I think I was more referring to the MoVI Pro app not actually registering any differences in tolerance to the Spektrum, from what I can feel anyway. I've tested them at either extreme and there's little different in the sensitivity of the sticks...I'll investigate this further though as I thought there may be a bug in the App. I'm more concerned with the satellite & GPS / Position lock at this stage as it's rendering the Pro out of service.

Cheers! Alec

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Alec: Understood. Did you verify that you're getting "extreme expo" using the Setup screen on the Spektrum tx? That's the first place I'd look for resolving expo-related problems.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert