/dist/images/branding/favicon

Question about a swollen LiPo batt...

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Ben Huddleston, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Sudhava Ramesh

Sudhava Ramesh New Member

Hello!
    I own two batteries and they appear swollen. Can somebody confirm for sure if they are after looking at the photographs I've attached?
    I don't know what they look like normally.

I checked the voltage and they at 16 V which means its about 4V per cell.

The batteries have not been used for over two months and they were used by a friend of mine and i don't know if he stored them when they were fully charged. Basically, i have no idea.

Any help will be appreciated a lot :)
    Thank you

IMG-20170315-WA0000.jpg IMG-20170315-WA0002.jpg IMG-20170315-WA0002.jpg

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Sudhava, yes looking at the bottom photo the one front/bottom is swollen, other one less so but looks like it is a little bit. I would retire the front battery. Batteries can be damaged by overcharging with a non approved charger, being dropped which may cause internal damage. 16V for a battery at rest is likely not an issue since the 14.8 is a 'nominal' voltage. Best action would be to replace them so they don't fail at an inopportune moment.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I agree with Gary. That front one looks ready to burst.
    Do a Google search for "how do I dispose of a lipo battery" and follow the instructions.
    I would not want to keep that first battery in my house, office, studio -- it's telegraphing "I'm a fire-starter!"

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

4. Sudhava Ramesh

Thank you for your help Andy and Gary. About an hour after my post, i dunked the batteries in a salt water bath.
    I wonder though how they didn't actually catch fire or tear up for the last couple of months while they were in the case with the Movi :eek: I am grateful they didn't.
    I think of this as a design flaw and this is most annoying about the M5. Wish Freefly would give us batteries like the ones on the Movi Pro.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Sudhava:

I'm glad you rendered them safe!

Actually, this is the first time I've ever seen FF Lipos puff up like that -- I don't think any forum member has ever reported that (I could be wrong, but...). If others have seen this problem before with FF Lipos, please chime in.

I'm afraid the puffing up of Lipos is not an FF-specific thing -- it's the very nature of the battery chemistry and the "price" we pay for the high energy density with low weight.

Cheers
    Andy

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Sudhava:

I'm glad you rendered them safe!

Actually, this is the first time I've ever seen FF Lipos puff up like that -- I don't think any forum member has ever reported that (I could be wrong, but...). If others have seen this problem before with FF Lipos, please chime in.

I'm afraid the puffing up of Lipos is not an FF-specific thing -- it's the very nature of the battery chemistry and the "price" we pay for the high energy density with low weight.

Cheers
    Andy

7. Sudhava Ramesh

Gentlemen,
    I bought a pair of batteries and one of them behaves strangely while charging. As you can see in this video below, Only the 1S and the Charge status lights blink one after another.
    Is this an issue?

8. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Sudhava I it may be a bad charger. Contact the Freefly support desk or your dealer.

9. Christy Pessagno

Christy Pessagno New Member

Ours just started puffing up after about a year of using them. This is the first time we've noticed. Bought two new ones. Photo below for comparison. The one on the left we are retiring. Think the second from the left is still safe to use? New ones are on the right.

IMG_1014.JPG.jpeg IMG_1016.JPG.jpeg IMG_1018.JPG.jpeg

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Christy: "Safe" is a relative term -- the puffiness is caused by outgassing from the internal electrolyte paste. It's telegraphing "internal pressure building up." You might be able to continue to use them but you may find that they (a) don't hold their charge as well as they used and (b) may spontaneously catch fire when it is "really rather inconvenient."

Personally, I would not use them at all. I have a small metal trash can with a push-on lid that is my LiPo burial ground. I keep it outside the house several feet away from the house in case of said spontaneous self-ignition. I let the LiPo's inevitable self-discharge kick in (it can take several weeks) until the LiPo voltage is completely at zero. Only then are they inert. I clip the connectors off the wires and twist them together as a final farewell and take them over to a battery recycling place that accepts Lithium batteries.

Hope this helps.
    Andy