/dist/images/branding/favicon

Range of API

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro API' started by SeBaStIaN BArrEtT, Mar 9, 2017.

1. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT Active Member

from 1A

"We're announcing a special module, we're calling the MIMIC MODULE. It brings everything together.

You can see a video of a prototype here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BRZKlAlgZ7i/
    More info on our site here: https://1a.tools/shop-alpha-wheels/mimic-module

One huge advantage of this module, it uses Freefly's new API (released just two days ago) to digitally communicate absolute position data to the gimbal. This results in lower lag, more repeatable moves than any wheels that use off-the-shelf RC transmitters."

Is the range of most API devices going to be limited to the range of the MIMIC?

2. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

Answered this elsewhere, but for reference in the API thread: Yes. Anything connected to the MIMIC will be communicating with the MōVI Pro through the MIMIC, and will have whatever range the MIMIC has.

3. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

"SeBaStIaN, since it will be connected to the MIMIC to communicate with the MōVI Pro, it will have the same range as the MIMIC."
    Thats Bryan, thanks for the answer!

So I scrolled through the release notes and the link to API google doc (which is amazing for so much detail thanks freefly) and I am really curious. . . . It seems like this opens up an avenue for a ton of third party stuff (focus controllers, etc) to work. . .am I mistaken?

If so, thats incredible. Is the range completely dependent on the transmitters on the respective equipment?

And any info on max range achieved using API devices would be appreciated!

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Sebastian is sounds like any third party will be communicating through the Mimic. So Mimic to MoVI pro is a gating factor. If the third party bit can transmit from 20 miles away from the Mimic the Mimic still needs to be able to communicate to the MoVI Pro. Until communication can be direct to the MoVI Pro the Mimic to Pro distance governs.

Bryan Edmonds likes this.
  5. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

Hey Gary. I thought Bryan was responding specifically to 1A's mimic module running through the mimic.

do u know for sure all API will run throught the mimic?

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

That's my interpretation of what Brian wrote based on your question around the MIMIC.

From the API documentation it sounds like you can direct connect to the MoVI PRO but your question seemed to be about a wireless connection using the API.

The Freefly API is a serial protocol interface that allows control and status of Freefly’s MōVI Pro gimbal, through the logic-level UART COM ports on the MōVI Pro Gimbal Control Unit (GCU) and the MIMIC. The core API code distribution consists of a portable C language library that can be included in users projects to build software that controls the core functionality of the MōVI Pro, such as gimbal pointing, lens motor control, camera start/stop, etc.

Freefly API v1.0 is supported on MōVI Pro GCU v1.2 or above through the COM1 or COM2 port, and on MIMIC v1.2 or above through the COM1 port.

#6 Gary Haynes, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  7. Deniz Ozgoren

Deniz Ozgoren Support Mage
    Staff Member

You or 3rd party developers have flexibility on this. You can get remote functionality by simply connecting to MIMIC, where you will be limited by MIMIC range. Or you can bridge through another long range system, where you can directly connect that to MōVI instead. As an edge example you could have an LTE based controller in Japan, and LTE based receiver connected to MōVI in USA and get 6000 miles of range..

Rob Weidner and Bryan Edmonds like this.