/dist/images/branding/favicon

Cinegears compatiblity

Discussion in 'MōVI Controller' started by Mark Hoffman, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Mark Hoffman

Mark Hoffman Active Member

2. Mark Hoffman

Is there anybody out there? Just nod if you can hear me.

3. Rod Hartzog

Rod Hartzog Member

I have used the Cinegear several times and because the reciever is in the motor, it is quite large compared to other motors and becomes problematic when trying to balance the camera on certain applications. I also felt the build quality was terrible as the motor kept lifting off the gears as it was being used. I tightened the motor to the rod and split the case on the motor resulting in having it machined to accept larger screws. Its great in terms of price but do not expect it to last very long during the rigors of shooting...IMHO

4. Mark Hoffman

I thought that might be the case with their quality, but I do like the idea of the built in rx. I fiqured they wouldn't be a good choice for bigger high quality cine lens like an Optimo zoom, but do you think they could hold up to use with smaller dslr lens like the Rokinon series?

Hopefully NAB will bring us a few more choices for the MoVI controller.

5. Rod Hartzog

Rod Hartzog Member

It will absolutely work on Rokinon lenses and I've used it with the Optima 24-290 but it struggled. The one thing (aside from the motor case being two piece and held together with tiny screws) is that the gear on the motor is not situated in the middle of the gear. It is located to the side of the gear so in certain applications, it cannot reach the gear as it slides on the rod and runs into the rod mount or camera. Don't get me wrong, for the price it is great but it's my opinion the Heden Carat is a far better choice; albeit twice as expensive..

6. Blue Sky Aerials LLC

I've been using Cinegears for two years now with my Movi and it works great. The built in rx really helps with balancing. The motors are not too big at all. The 15mm rod clamp is too large on the Cinegears motor so I use the 19mm rod clamp with the 15mm stepdown and it works perfectly. I would also like to know if the Movi Controller will work with Cinegears.