/dist/images/branding/favicon

m5 Motor Freak Out when WiFi Connects

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Dylan Glockler, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Dylan Glockler

Every time I connect to my MOVI m5 with iOS on WiFi the motors freak out - the best way to describe it is a mini seizure. Is anyone else experiencing this? It's been happening ever since I installed Akira which coincided with some repairs completed at FreeFly.

A video:

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Yep, me too on the M15. And I use bluetooth instead of wifi -- but same thing. Like it's got a crick in its neck.... Kinda weird but doesn't seem to affect performance. I find it happens when I close out of the app and re-open it, not necessarily when I connect to it initially.

Looks like I tasered the poor thing when it happens...

Dylan Glockler likes this.
  3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Whoa. That looks like's getting junk "commands" via the WiFi. I've not seen that reported before. Time to email support@freeflysystems.com especially given the history of recent repairs.

Please post again and let us know what you find out.

@Graham: Did the behavior start after the firmware upgrade for you too?

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

4. Graham Futerfas

Hi Andy, yes, I think I started noticing this when the Beta version of Akira came out.

I've seen it mentioned on here before, maybe by Dylan, and it's still an issue in FW 5.0.2. Happened to me just last weekend on a shoot. It's an intermittent problem that occurs when I connect with the App on my Android device, but it happens pretty regularly. I thought it had to do with quitting the app and then restarting the app on the tablet, and when it connects to the Movi, it would freak out for a few seconds, just like in Dylan's video. Sometimes it does it, sometimes not.

Aside from being a bit embarrassing when people see it going crazy, it hasn't been a real problem. I haven't gone to the trouble to see exactly what situations cause it -- maybe not writing settings before quitting the app?

Dylan seems to be noticing it when he connects and M5 via wifi and iOS, and I'm seeing it on my M15 using Bluetooth and Android.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Does it spaz for just a few seconds and then quieten down? Or does it keep spazzing?
    I'm not sure quite what difference that makes to the nature of the fault, but I'm just curious in case others experience the same issue.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

6. Graham Futerfas

Just like in Dylan's video, it lasts a few seconds and then quiets down and operates normally.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Dylan: Are you driving anything other than the MoVI from the MoVI LiPo? If you are can you sketch out your wiring diagram for how you have all the electronics wired up, please?

Thanks
    Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

8. Graham Futerfas

So I tried and tried to get the Movi to freak out today, and couldn't make it happen. I tried a bunch of things, connecting and disconnecting from the app, landing on different screens, writing settings, not writing, etc. I did get it to make a 360 degree pan when I closed and re-connected onto the 'About' page, but then couldn't make it do it a 2nd time.

Not sure what else to say. I guess I can see if it happens again and try to think about what I'm doing at the time.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I'm sorry, Sir, but this feature is only available when you don't want it to happen. :rolleyes:

Andy.

The Ground Is The Limit™

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  10. Graham Futerfas

Yes, and it's a 'feature', not a 'bug'! :)

I could get it to jitter sometimes when I'd 'write' settings to the Movi. But mainly it just rolls to the side and back, not the other 'freak out' that I've seen.

11. Dylan Glockler

I'm on the road but will see if I can get that 'feature' to work Sunday when I'm back in the studio. Seemed to be occurring fairly consistently.

12. Graham Futerfas

It may have something to do with being in Remote instead of majestic, or having a remote controller on. It did it to me today and I think I had the remote wheels on.

13. Dylan Glockler

I was actually in Aerial mode and it occurs whether the remote is powered on and connected or not. The behavior is pretty erratic - with slight different results each time - though usually begins with a clock-wise tilt and twitch. This latest test I filmed, it then spun 360 degrees before resuming normal operation.

I do see there is a new version of the firmware - I'm updating now and will also test connecting via BlueTooth and WiFi from my mac.

14. Dylan Glockler

GOOD NEWS - I updated the firmware to AKIRA 5.0.2 and in order to do so, had to re-seat the WiFi connector. One of those two things seems to have resolved the issue. Connecting by WiFi no longer seems to cause a seizure!

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

That's good to know, Dylan. Thanks for posting!
    Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™