/dist/images/branding/favicon

Which Battery Charger For ALTA Flight Pack - 16Ah?

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Jean Bernard, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Jean Bernard

Jean Bernard New Member

Hi,

I just took delivery of my Alta 8 Kit with 10 Flight Pack-16Ah batteries but there was no charger for them included like in the Movi M15! Which charger is everyone using/would recommend? And how many chargers should I get to get me through the day?

Thanks
    -JB

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Jean:
    For what it's worth, I use two of these: http://www.quadrocopter.com/eFuel-1200W50A-Power-Supply_p_1246.html
    and four of these: http://www.quadrocopter.com/Hyperion-EOS-0720i-DUO3-Lipo-Battery-Charger_p_251.html

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Jean Bernard

Jean Bernard New Member

Thanks for the reply Andy, I will research the two you recommended. I just wish freefly had a list of recommended/approved chargers. A hobby store recommended this 4channel charger: https://www.thobbies.com/products/hitec-44167 any thoughts?

Thanks
    -JB

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

That Hitec looks like a perfectly viable alternative, Jean.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

I use this set up as well...works excellent with everything from small movi batteries to large flight packs.

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Same eFuel power supplies with Revolectrix Powerlab 8's with their parallel balance board. Charge 2 at time on each charger. Charge smaller batteries like the Movi's 4 at a time with the proper adapters. Robust units and can be computer controlled, charted and history saved with a USB dongle. Also more robust to do a reverse charge to go to storage voltage if needed.

7. Jean Bernard

Jean Bernard New Member

Thanks for your help guys. Much appreciated.

8. Christopher Vasquez

Christopher Vasquez New Member

How long does it take you to recharge your Flight Pack batteries? Do they get too hot to fly right after charging? Thank you!

9. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Christopher by 10000ah packs run down to 80% take about 30 mins. They do not heat up. If you ever have a battery heat up something is seriously wrong with that pack and it should not be flown.

10. Christopher Vasquez

Christopher Vasquez New Member

Thank you! I have yet to purchase the charger, and appreciate the information. 30 minutes is fast- that is good news. Cheers-

11. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

It depends on how many amps you charge them at. If you have to add 5000ma back to a battery and charge it at 5 amps it would take an hour - charging at 10 amps would take 30 minutes - charging at 2.5 amps would take 2 hours. If you have to add 7-8000ma back to you batteries you can do the math to see how long it would take based on your charging rate. I always charge mine slowly and have extra chargers.