/dist/images/branding/favicon

Roll vibration

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Nick Palliser, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Nick Palliser

Nick Palliser New Member

Afternoon everyone (or morning, depending upon timezone).

I am nearing the end of a big project for my Masters Degree and having few issues.

I have had the M5 for quite awhile and never had an issue.

I use a Sony a7s on it and it's balanced fine as far as I can tell.

All movements are great, but I am doing a lot of one handed, top handle filming with dogs and I am getting quite a bit of roll vibration (from movement, not intentional action).

This started a little while back and nothing has really changed. Except thinking about it I did have a 24-70mm f4 lens on there but replaced that with a 28mm f2.

The a7s with 24-70 was 915gram
    The a7s with 28mm f2 is 715gram

Do you think the weight has affected it? Or am I missing something in setup?

When holding in two hands there is no discernable issue, but just in the one handed top handle operation and mainly when not moving much.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Nick did you tune it on the stand, holding it with two hands or holding it with one hand? Each of those would have different tuning results.

3. Nick Palliser

Nick Palliser New Member

Hi Gary,
    thanks for the reply.
    I tune on the stand.
    TBH, as a single operator any other way is bit difficult due to lack of hands. Also, with Video Devices Pix-E5 and mic on horizontal bar it's a bit cumbersome to do such also.

That being said, I am not on "Akira" but latest previous software and had NOT tried "autotune" before. I tried autotune yesterday and initial "living room" tests were good.

Nothing is perfect but I am single operator filming about Canine-Human interaction with regards to therapy. Thus am using some techniques/handling I would rarely do before.
    I have two shoots for project next week so will see how it goes.

Just as everything else is hunky dory except for previous roll vibration I wondered if I was tuning something wrong OR the reduction in weight from lens change may have had an effect.

Nick

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Nick: The real problem (as Gary alluded to) is that you have to tune for the specific way that you you're going to be holding the MōVI -- it's a very complex dynamic system and if you tune it holding it one way (or in the stand) and then use it another, then it's really not tuned. The natural harmonic oscillations are different on the stand, when you hold it two handed, or when you hold it one-handed -- and that's what you need to replicate when you tune it.

This is nothing unique to the MōVI -- it's just the nature of things moving under computer control. The computer autotunes to minimize the oscillations for a given circumstance (like being on the stand), not for hold the MōVI one-handed, say.

Hope this helps.
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Nick Palliser

Nick Palliser New Member

Hi Andy
    Totally understand and makes sense.
    When walking miles over varied terrain and single operator, a "happy medium" is desired though. One minute I can be shooting single handed at dog height, the next two handed for wider view at chest height.

Is "auto tune" at different carrying positions an idea/possible? As anything else, with pack, terrain and single operation is basically impossible.

Nick

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, autotune with the same grip/support you're about to use -- will get you into the ball park. You can, of course, autotune ahead of time if you know the grip and exact payload and then save the settings in the studio and the restore them in the field.

But, at a pinch, first sign of any vibration (high frequency) or oscillation (low frequency), Autotune is your Friend! :)

The real problem is autotuning ahead of time for the exact configuration you'll be using tomorrow (and then discovering you need to add/subtract a filter, change the matte box etc. etc.!
    Hope that helps
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Tune single handed and if you go two handed while it won't be optimal you should be better than tuning two handed and then going one handed.

8. Nick Palliser

Nick Palliser New Member

Thanks all.
    Filming next three days all over country so will see how goes.