/dist/images/branding/favicon

ARRI Ultra-Wide lens / Alexa Mini /M15

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Tom Kim, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Tom Kim

Tom Kim New Member

Hi,
    curious if anyone has attempted to adapt the ARRI Ultra Wide Zoom UWZ 9.5-18 zoom lens in combination with the Alexa Mini and M15 .
    -the lens is long at around 10 lbs, can anyone offer their impressions of this setup?
    -full cforce or other motor control setup possible?
    -my immediate concerns aside from balancing to the M15 is the maximum tilt travel with this setup ....

thank you .

2. Kurt Wallrath

Kurt Wallrath Member

Hey Tom,

I have never tried this set up but my guess is you'll need some sort of counter weights to tape/stick to the top of the Alexa Mini (AM). Make sure you don't mount anything to the rear of the AM, because you're going to need to move it back as far as possible to try and center the Center of Gravity (CG). Make sure you mount the MoVI dovetail as far forward under the AM so it will slide all the way back on the MoVI but make sure the CF iris rods are still in a position so you can mount a motor so it lines up with the focus gear "teeth". Obviously, you're going to want to use as light of a focus motor as possible, like the Heden M21.

If you're using majestic mode, the lens shouldn't hit the pan motor when tilting up. However, if you're planning on using the MoVI as a remote head, you may run into clearance issues when tilting up. If so, I'd mount the MoVI in inverted mode. You could either mount the AM upside down on the MoVI or flip your monitor upside down and flip the image in post.

Tom Kim likes this.
  3. Wolf Schiebel

Wolf Schiebel Active Member

Hi Tom,

note the 1 kg pack of lead on the back of the mini... works, but heavy.........

2016-04-30 19.17.17.jpg 2016-04-30 19.16.54.jpg

Tom Kim and Graham Futerfas like this.
  4. Tom Kim

Tom Kim New Member

Hi Kurt /Wolf,

Thank you for your insights. I had an opportunity to try out the UWS on a recent scouting. The lens is 10lbs and over 18" long. Its a beast.
    Wolf, whats the total cam/lens/attachment and ballast weight you have rigged in your photos?

5. Wolf Schiebel

Wolf Schiebel Active Member

It's about 3,8 kg for cam/bat/motors, 3,0 kg for lens and filter and 1 kg lead ballast.

(+ about 4,0 kg for Movi/monitor/tx/ring)

Cheers, Wolf

6. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

Get some 25mm carbon and make the side arms longer (1.5mm wall thickness works better than 1mm), last thing you want to do is add extra weight when the M15's already maxed out with a cine zoom.

7. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Jason, just wondering when you use extended side arms what do you do about the arm with the with the bearing attached? Can you buy a part with that part attached? I have an m10 and extending the side arms would make life a whole lot easier. I did ask freefly about extending the arms and they recommended against this. have you had good results?

8. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

For the right arm... get a heat gun, heat up the aluminum part and it breaks down the glue inside, dont worry about the carbon since your replacing anyway, install longer arm and re-glue it in :)